DIY PID controller: Beta version

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JC in GB

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 28, 2018
Green Bay, WI
Good day all.

In my quest to put together a cheap PID controller for my smoker, I put together an Alpha version that worked on AC and was ugly as hell. Alpha prototype; make it work. Beta prototype; make it small.

Here are pics of my Beta prototype unit with mounted interface board.

All you need is a 12V wall wart, a BBQ guru fan, and a thermocouple or PT-100 sensor and you are set.

Regulates temperature to 0.1 degrees.

PID interface board.jpg

PID controller.jpg

PID controller in action using magnetic cell phone mount:

PID controller 2.jpg

Controller, interface board and PT-100 sensor: $20

Last edited:
Reactions: zwiller and Sparky9
Good day all.

In my quest to put together a cheap PID controller for my smoker, I put together an Alpha version that worked on AC and was ugly as hell. Alpha prototype; make it work. Beta prototype; make it small.

Here are pics of my Beta prototype unit with mounted interface board.

All you need is a 12V wall wart, a BBQ guru fan, and a thermocouple or PT-100 sensor and you are set.

Regulates temperature to 0.1 degrees.

View attachment 398012

View attachment 398011

PID controller in action using magnetic cell phone mount:

View attachment 398013

Controller, interface board and PT-100 sensor: $20

Very cool. I have a spare SLC 500 with analog in/ out, digital in/ out, and a thermocouple card at work that will never be used because we upgraded to a compact Logix system. I have thought about using it to do something similar for fun.

Reactions: JC in GB
The AB slick 500 is a venerable controller. You could do a lot with that.

I like hacking together my own electronics assemblies. Helps me learn new stuff and can save me a few bucks potentially.

Going to test my beta prototype this weekend. Hope it works as planned as I am going to try and use for a competition on the 22nd....

Last edited:
The AB slick 500 is a venerable controller. You could do a lot with that.

I like hacking together my own electronics assemblies. Helps me learn new stuff and can save me a few bucks potentially.

Going to test my beta prototype this weekend. Hope it works as planned as I am going to try and use for a competition on the 28th....

Good luck, I hope it works well for you.

Reactions: JC in GB
here is the controller system with added battery and solar panel. Panel is 30 watts. I think I could have easily gotten away with the 20 watt panel. Box on top of battery is a solar charge controller.

20190629_073756~2.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky