Disco's H-M Wings w/ the Vortex

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sawhorseray

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 17, 2014
Gilbert, AZ
I had a 18 pack of wings all thawed out, decided to do half yesterday using Disco's Honey Mustard chicken wing recipe. Followed the directions in his post to a "T" and made up the rub and sauce.
DSCN1836.JPG

Had a chimney full of coals fired up and tossed them into the Vortex, than placed the rubbed wings all around it
DSCN1837.JPG

I gave the lid a 1/3 turn every ten minutes and after a half hour gave them a nice brushing of the H-M sauce and put the lid back on for another five minutes, then it was time to take them out and give the wings a toss in the remaining sauce. Hey, that rhymes!
DSCN1839.JPG

Plated the wings up with my standard sautéed zukes and onions
DSCN1840.JPG

I'll tell you right now these wings were phenomenal, this recipe is a keeper that 'll be doing again and again! I managed to down seven wings and was stuffed, didn't need or want any BBQ sauce, these baby's stand on their own. If you like wings you won't be disappointed trying this recipe out, I love it! RAY

Looks great Ray! I just made a batch myself. Waiting another hour to taste, but they smell awesome!

Mike

Reactions: sawhorseray
Those wings look awesome Ray!

Thanks Tander, just another great SMF Disco recipe, a real keeper! RAY

Great, now I have to try and find wings in a meat shortage! Those look great!!

And they're not all that easy to find Lance, Sam's Club has been the best bet for me. Thanks for the Like, I do appreciate it. RAY

Ray, between you and John, you two are making me wish I still lived up there. Nicely done!

Come on back, we could have rotating get togethers if and when the virus let's up! Of course if it's any cooler down there you might be happier staying where you are, 112º by the end of this week. Thanks for the Like too, much appreciated. RAY

Looks good Ray . Always good when they stand on their own , no sauce needed . Nice work .

Thanks Rich, and thank you for the Like. With the SnS and Vortex my stick burner is sitting out back wondering if it'll ever get fired up again, the Weber sure is easy! RAY

Looks great Ray! I just made a batch myself. Waiting another hour to taste, but they smell awesome! Mike

I'd say get 'em while they're hot but I just downed the last two cold out of the fridge! Thanks for the Like, Mike, I appreciate it. RAY

Dang Ray, those wings look perfect!
Not really a fan, but I might need to rethink that. Like! John

I'm telling you John I can't ever remember doing wings once in my life before the Vortex, just thought there wasn't enough meat on 'em to be worth cooking. I've always been a thigh guy and now I've come to find wings are every bit as good, can't stop eating them. If life ever gets back close to normal I'll Vortex you up a batch for lunch, gonna do teriyaki wings tonight! Thanks for the Like amigo, very much appreciated. RAY

Reactions: Smokin' in AZ
Looks great Ray! I just made a batch myself. Waiting another hour to taste, but they smell awesome! Mike

I'd say get 'em while they're hot but I just downed the last two cold out of the fridge! Thanks for the Like, Mike, I appreciate it. RAY

Dang Ray, those wings look perfect!
Not really a fan, but I might need to rethink that. Like! John

I'm telling you John I can't ever remember doing wings once in my life before the Vortex, just thought there wasn't enough meat on 'em to be worth cooking. I've always been a thigh guy and now I've come to find wings are every bit as good, can't stop eating them. If life ever gets back close to normal I'll Vortex you up a batch for lunch, gonna do teriyaki wings tonight! Thanks for the Like amigo, very much appreciated. RAY

Come on back, we could have rotating get togethers if and when the virus let's up! Of course if it's any cooler down there you might be happier staying where you are, 112º by the end of this week. Thanks for the Like too, much appreciated. RAY

Well, we certainly are a few degrees cooler down here...only 105 degrees for us by the end of the week. :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Plus, we run an evap coolers on the patio. The damn thing will nearly freeze us out most days. After 50 years of those Phoenix summers, we'll stay put down here.
I was telling John the other week that it is ironic that after moving away, I end up meeting some good folks online who share the same interests.

And about that virus, I am not betting that the heat will make any difference.

Well, we certainly are a few degrees cooler down here...only 105 degrees for us by the end of the week. :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Plus, we run an evap coolers on the patio. The damn thing will nearly freeze us out most days. After 50 years of those Phoenix summers, we'll stay put down here. I was telling John the other week that it is ironic that after moving away, I end up meeting some good folks online who share the same interests. And about that virus, I am not betting that the heat will make any difference.

When we first moved here from CA at the beginning of last July one of the first things we did was to get the old patio lights torn out and replaced with lights with ceiling fans, made a huge difference. We're now tossing the around the thought of getting misters installed as we love it here, love our house, and will never move again, ever!

We're not betting that the virus will ever go away. In all likelihood we will never board another airplane flight, have already cancelled all summer fish-camp reservations, will continue wearing my hazmat mask to the grocery store, and won't have, or be, company anytime soon. Am I afraid to get the virus? You bet your life I am! Even if it doesn't kill you the thought of losing 25-30% of lung function is enough to stay the course. Don't have and I ain't gonna get it! RAY

Dammit man!! Every time I get in the mindset to win this bet I'm involved in you come along and post another amazing looking Vortex thread. If I'm gonna win this bet I may have to "ignore" you and stop seeing these posts :emoji_laughing: I'd never do that of course but you sure are making it difficult. Those wings are just to die for, as have so many other things you've posted been which were done with the Weber and Vortex. I just don't need another grill...but I may have to forego my odds of winning and get one of these.

UGH!!
Robert

They look awesome!! I wanted to do wings this weekend. I have a 10 lbs bag of pre cut in the freezer I scored at GFS for $25. Holding out for a special occasion or until I can get another bag to stash.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Sure looks good from here! Nice job Ray. Ryan

Thanks Ryan, and thank you for the Like, I do appreciate it! RAY

Dammit man!! Every time I get in the mindset to win this bet I'm involved in you come along and post another amazing looking Vortex thread. If I'm gonna win this bet I may have to "ignore" you and stop seeing these posts :emoji_laughing: I'd never do that of course but you sure are making it difficult. Those wings are just to die for, as have so many other things you've posted been which were done with the Weber and Vortex. I just don't need another grill...but I may have to forego my odds of winning and get one of these. UGH!! Robert

What do you mean "I just don't need another grill..." Robert? Grills are like fishing rods and guns Robert, there's no such thing as too many! I suppose you feel no guilt or responsibility that I'm presently shopping for flat top griddles. What goes around comes around my friend! Thank you for the Like Robert, mucho appreciendo! RAY

Finally got down to some wings eating. They were great! I can't thank Disco enough for the recipes and the followups. Excellent as always. Now I have a new recipe to add to the arsenal.

Mike

When we first moved here from CA at the beginning of last July one of the first things we did was to get the old patio lights torn out and replaced with lights with ceiling fans, made a huge difference. We're now tossing the around the thought of getting misters installed as we love it here, love our house, and will never move again, ever!

We're not betting that the virus will ever go away. In all likelihood we will never board another airplane flight, have already cancelled all summer fish-camp reservations, will continue wearing my hazmat mask to the grocery store, and won't have, or be, company anytime soon. Am I afraid to get the virus? You bet your life I am! Even if it doesn't kill you the thought of losing 25-30% of lung function is enough to stay the course. Don't have and I ain't gonna get it! RAY

I hear you brother!
Being in the demographic too, the wife and I don't take the virus lightly.
On a positive note, the BP was 124/77 this morning, the lowest it has been in months.
I feel smoking session coming on!
P.S. Sent you a PM. You just might change your mind about moving...hehehehehe!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky