BBQ Honey Mustard Wings

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Canadian Rockies
I love honey mustard chicken wings. I also love Carolina Pulled Pork with mustard sauce. As usual, when I love two things that are even slightly related, something in my brain fires, my hands start to tremble, and I must start trying a new recipe. I simply had to make wings with a BBQ sauce flavoured with honey mustard. Thus, BBQ Honey Mustard Wings were born.

I started by coating giving a good layer of barbecue rub to sixteen chicken wing segments. I used my Chicken Rub but you can use any rub you like on poultry. Then I mixed up a sauce with the following ingredients:

• 40 ml (3 tbsp) honey
  • 40 ml (3 tbsp) prepared mustard
  • 15 ml (1 tbsp) barbecue sauce
  • 5 ml (1 teaspoon) Buffalo wing sauce
  • 2 ml (1/2 tsp) onion powder
  • 2 ml (1/2 tsp) garlic powder
I preheated my Traeger Timberlind smoker to 350 F (175 C). I put the wings in for 25 minutes.

BBQ Honey Mustard Wings 01.jpg

I turned the wings and smoked for 25 minutes more. I brushed the wings with the sauce and cooked for 10 minutes longer. I brought the wings in and tossed them with the remaining sauce.

BBQ Honey Mustard Wings 02.jpg

BBQ Honey Mustard Wings 04.jpg

BBQ Honey Mustard Wings 05.jpg

The Verdict

These were terrific! They had a nice chew and the sauce was sweet and savoury. It made a terrific combination of BBQ and Honey Mustard. Give it a try!

Disco

Your new recipe looks amazing! The whole plate looks good to me.

Ryan

Those look spot on Disco, thank you for sharing that with us! Now I'm hungry for wings, maybe this weekend :)

Looks great Disco! I'm doing a whole bunch of wings this weekend so I'm going to give this a shot. I was going to do about 4 different flavors and looking for new ideas. This came at the right time!

That looks fantastic Disco, huge Like! I've gotten into wings in a big way the last few weeks since getting a Vortex. I went back and found your Honey Teriyaki post from 2014 and saved it and a few other of your wings posts, they are all great! Any chance you would post the ingredients for your chicken rub? I don't buy store-bought rubs, doesn't make sense to me. RAY

Those look great! Wings it will be for me this weekend now that I've seen this...

Reactions: MJB05615
Great looking wings Disco, and a fine looking plate.

Thanks so much, Jack!

Awesome new idea great looking finish. Now if you just had some sports to watch while you snack on them.

Warren

Thanks but I get to see sports every day. The birds fight over the feeder and bath. However, a football game wouldn't hurt.

Looks great Disco! I'm doing a whole bunch of wings this weekend so I'm going to give this a shot. I was going to do about 4 different flavors and looking for new ideas. This came at the right time!

Thanks! I hope you like them. They are not hot so would be good in a mix of flavours for the less adventurous among us.

That looks fantastic Disco, huge Like! I've gotten into wings in a big way the last few weeks since getting a Vortex. I went back and found your Honey Teriyaki post from 2014 and saved it and a few other of your wings posts, they are all great! Any chance you would post the ingredients for your chicken rub? I don't buy store-bought rubs, doesn't make sense to me. RAY

Thanks, Ray. I am jealous of the vortex! Considering all the help and ideas I've gotten here, I would be a pretty poor example of a man if I didn't share the Chicken Rub recipe! Here it is:

• 10 ml (2 teaspoons) paprika
  • 8 ml (1 1/2 teaspoons) black pepper
  • 8 ml (1 1/2 teaspoons) garlic powder
  • 8 ml (1 1/2 teaspoons) onion powder
  • 5 ml (1 teaspoon) dried rosemary
  • 5 ml (1 teaspoon) dried thyme
  • 3 ml (1/2 teaspoon) kosher salt
  • 2 ml (1/3 teaspoon) dried sage
  • 1 ml (1/4 teaspoon) cayenne

Those look great! Wings it will be for me this weekend now that I've seen this...

Thank you!

Thanks a ton for that rub recipe Disco! I've got all the needed ingredients in the spice cabinet and will make a batch this afternoon, Disco Wings this weekend! Thanks again. RAY

Thanks for the rub recipe too. Got all the stuff, making this weekend. I'll let you know how they turn out. Very excited to try something new!

Thanks a ton for that rub recipe Disco! I've got all the needed ingredients in the spice cabinet and will make a batch this afternoon, Disco Wings this weekend! Thanks again. RAY

No problem, Ray. I hope you like it!

That’s some good looking chicken!

Thanks so much!

Thanks for the rub recipe too. Got all the stuff, making this weekend. I'll let you know how they turn out. Very excited to try something new!

I hope you like them! Thanks!

Reactions: MJB05615
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky