Did a little cooking today. Boneless beef ribs with Mac and cheese

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

radio

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jul 28, 2013
S.W. Mo
Smoked a big hunk of beef shoulder, aka boneless beef ribs and made a dish of Mac
and cheese to finish clogging the arteries :D it was fall apart tender and
a meal fit for a king! Who needs veggies when you have this?!?!?
I started it in the stick burner for four hours, then foiled with beef broth and brewed coffee and put it in the pellet smoker to finish. It tastes incredible!!
20180311_062023.jpg
20180311_170912.jpg
20180311_171702.jpg
20180311_171920.jpg

Thanks everyone, and thanks for the "likes". The butcher actually trimmed this one a little too well. On the plus side, it was only $3 per pound and no loss from trimming a bunch of fat like on brisket.

What do you mean by trimmed too well? Also how long in the pellet smoker did it to take? Did you know keep it in the pan the whole time?

Reactions: radio
What do you mean by trimmed too well? Also how long in the pellet smoker did it to take? Did you know keep it in the pan the whole time?
The butcher trimmed all the fat from it, so was just lean meat.
It was in the pellet smoker about 5 hours
And was in the pan and covered in foil the whole time in the pellet smoker. I wrapped it in towels and let it rest 2 hours

that looks great and sooooo yummy. What wood did you use in your stick burner ??

And this is not to criticize and just a general question. Why the pellet smoker and not the oven ? i see so many wrap in foil (gets no smoke like this) and cook for hours. I can see some what short term in a stick burner because you cant just shut it off and the wood needs to burn out anyway. But why run a pellet smoker for hours wasting pellets to getthe same thing you can from an oven.

again your food looks awesome

Looks like a fine looking plate of vittles you got there radio.

Point for sure.

Chris

Reactions: radio
that looks great and sooooo yummy. What wood did you use in your stick burner ??

And this is not to criticize and just a general question. Why the pellet smoker and not the oven ? i see so many wrap in foil (gets no smoke like this) and cook for hours. I can see some what short term in a stick burner because you cant just shut it off and the wood needs to burn out anyway. But why run a pellet smoker for hours wasting pellets to getthe same thing you can from an oven.

again your food looks awesome

I used white oak in the New Braunfels Bandera vertical smoker.
No offense taken. The oven on my range is broken and is about a $600 fix, so I bought a small countertop oven that suffices for most things like the mac and cheese. I wanted more smoke than the pellet grill can give, so I fired up the stick burner until the meat had a good bark.
I dumped the pellets from the GMG and refilled it with heating pellets as the meat was foiled and all I needed was steady heat. 40 pound bag for $4, so a 5 hour burn cost well under a buck!

4 hours got that kind of smoke ring?
Looks nice!
Yep, the old Bandera does a heckuva job! I'm sure foiling it immediately for the rest of the cook might have made the ring keep developing a bit. A good smoke ring is a thing of beauty!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky