Deer sausage with jalapenos and cheddar. Recipe and q-view!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gersus

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 8, 2011
Mid-Missouri
The beginning of this year I made up another round of deer sausage. I haven’t posted this until now because it took me forever to resize the images since I used my normal camera on some of the pics instead of my iphone.  Sausage making is addictive! This time I took more pics and am including my recipe. I came about this recipe by chance. I got tired of making others' recipes and them not turning out so I thought what the heck, I'll just throw some stuff together that I like and we'll see what happens. The thrown together sausage was good! So I then wondered if I could replicate it... lol. I made up some more and it was the same woohooo! This batch is the third time I've made it and have tweaked it a little and my procedures a bit every time. I'm still a newb but am learning a lot here.

My original recipe was for a 8 lb batch. This go around I made 24lb so I just tripled it. 

8lb total meat (I usually do 50/50 deer/pork.

1 tbsp/pound of TenderQuick

2 tbsp brown sugar

1+ tbsp chipotle powder from Penzey's.

1 1/2 tsp garlic powder

1 tbsp fennel seed

1 tbsp mustard seed

8 oz cheddar

5-6 jalapenos (depending on how hot you want it, 5 is mild)

For this go around I used 16lb deer, 8 lb pork. Changing the ratio didn't seem to change the taste any.

I ground the meat partially frozen. Ok, the deer meat was mostly frozen. The deer meat was a big frozen block and I cut it into long pieces small enough to fit into the grinder throat. Turns out my LEM #8 grinder doesn't like mostly frozen meat. I like the result though. 

I did a rough grind, then a fine grind, then mixed the cure and seasonings in, then added the cheese and peppers. Man was it cold mixing!!!!!

Put it in the fridge till the next day when my wife and I did the stuffing with the grinder. I see a stuffer in my future!!!

We made some brat sized, some snack sticks, some 1 1/2,and two 2'' rolls.

I had to do three batches do to size limitations of my MES 30. What a long day!!

I start off with the MES at 130 for the first couple hours, then bump it up by 10 degrees every hour or so till 165-170. Took about 5 hours for the smaller sticks, 6 for the bigger.

The results were great! The only problem is with some of the snack sticks. Some are a bit dry/overdone I think because of hot spots of the MES since I had it pretty full. 

I am in the middle of building a small smokehouse to have more room to hang sausage etc. J

cee535b9_sausage1212.jpg

379a821e_sausage1212b.jpg

64994aee_sausage1212c.jpg

737bf4fb_sausage1212d.jpg

c2eb2c06_sausage1212e.jpg

1145947f_sausage1212f.jpg

50354425_sausage1212g.jpg

31dbdea2_sausage1212h.jpg

02caf0b6_sausage1212j.jpg

c1dbfff1_sausage1212k.jpg

3099b718_sausage1212L.jpg

Sorry for the lack of snack stick pics but I was rushing to get them in and out so I could go to bed! When I get my smokehouse done, I will be able to all of them at once! Shewww that will be nice!

Reactions: obie
Looks good and a Cool Recipe!...Kind of Kielbasa meets fresh Italian!...JJ

Thanks guys! Making sausage is a lot of work but sooo good, and I'm addicted to making it! I really need to get a sausage stuffer though!

sausage.gif

Awesome sausage Gersus.............................
icon14.gif

Joe

Thanks guys! No complaints yet! I'll probably get to make some for a couple friends. I don't mind, I like doin' it! Will need to get a stuffer though...

Great work Gersus....! I agree on getting a stuffer. I bought a 7lb Weston stuffer for $100 and have been very satisfied. LEM also makes a great stuffer but are a little more proud of them... Again great work! Happy Smoking, Smokin - K

Looks like they came out great. I like the recipe too 

Try a batch once with only the coarse grind.  Mix it all and stuff it.  I like the texture of it alot better.  Just an idea.  Looks like a great job.

Dasmoke

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky