Deer sausage with jalapenos and cheddar. Recipe and q-view!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Gersus, The SS and sticks look great. I'm going to try your recipe because I like jalepeno SS.
icon14.gif

Try a batch once with only the coarse grind.  Mix it all and stuff it.  I like the texture of it alot better.  Just an idea.  Looks like a great job.

Dasmoke

I've done both, and at the moment it doesn't seem to matter much because when I use the grinder to stuff with it seems to come out like that anyway. A stuffer is in the near future though!

vikingboy - I used one block of Cabot sharp white cheddar and one block of Hiland cheddar. I cut it into 1/4'' by 1/2'' or so pieces and froze them prior to mixing/stuffing. I froze them hoping they would stay in chunks better when stuffing. I'm sure hi temp cheese is better but I can't get past the high price at this point. 

A side note - I really like Penzey's ground chipotle powder. It smells really good and fresh. I use it in a lot of different things. Tacos, chili, etc. I'm not sure the impact it has on the sausage. The sausage doesn't have a bold chipotle flavor. 

What kind/brand of cheese did you use??

I've done both, and at the moment it doesn't seem to matter much because when I use the grinder to stuff with it seems to come out like that anyway. A stuffer is in the near future though!

vikingboy - I used one block of Cabot sharp white cheddar and one block of Hiland cheddar. I cut it into 1/4'' by 1/2'' or so pieces and froze them prior to mixing/stuffing. I froze them hoping they would stay in chunks better when stuffing. I'm sure hi temp cheese is better but I can't get past the high price at this point. 

A side note - I really like Penzey's ground chipotle powder. It smells really good and fresh. I use it in a lot of different things. Tacos, chili, etc. I'm not sure the impact it has on the sausage. The sausage doesn't have a bold chipotle flavor. 

Ahhh sorry for the double post.

When I was looking at this thread today, I could have sworn that I had asked about the cheese a couple days ago so I skimmed through but didn't see anything.  I figured I was just going crazy so asked about it again lol

I will have to look closer next time

I agree that it's hard to get past the price of hi temp cheese as well.

Looks like a job well done. I just made summer sausage, sticks and sausage the past two weekends as well. I am very disappointed in the snack stick seasoning I used this year. I wish I had some of yours.

That is not good, rbranster. I know the feeling though. I hate wasting sausage due to poor taste!

Exromenyer - Thanks, I just ordered the 15lb Kitchener unit yesterday! Woohooo!

That is not good, rbranster. I know the feeling though. I hate wasting sausage due to poor taste!

Exromenyer - Thanks, I just ordered the 15lb Kitchener unit yesterday! Woohooo!

Gersus - that is awesome... I assume it's built just like the walton's I got and if so, you'll be so pleased.  The only problem I am having and I am wondering how many others encounter this problem is the remaining meat left in the bottom exit hole of the canister and the stuffer tube.  It is a Pain to get out but I'm thinking a dowl might help in extracting it as the smaller ones are a challenge to get the meat out of sometimes.  You have any recommendations ? or do others ?

thanks

tony

Nice to hear. And a great recipe too, thanks for posting.
I use extra sharp cheese with all my smoked goodies. I see no need for the hi temp cheese.
I never go above 175.

Looks really good. Nice job. If you could just get the crackers in there you would have the whole package
biggrin.gif

I tried your recipe tonight and it was pretty bland tasting. Wonder if I should of put 4x the ingredients in?? I think my dogs will eat it anyway lol. It looked so good but I was pretty disappointed. I used apple and cherry wood chips for the record

Last edited:
I'm new to this forum and still learning about smoking etc. Why did you use TenderQuick instead of Cure #1? Just curious. I am making some jalapeno/cheese link sausage and snack sticks and planning to smoke them, but I thought I needed to use Cure #1 if I was smoking. Someone please help me out on this since I can't find a clear answer.

Very interesting to me here is using one recipe and stuffing several different sized casings at one time. I haven’t done that but it looks like a very effective way to getting a nice variety. Have other folks done this with success?

I'm new to this forum and still learning about smoking etc. Why did you use TenderQuick instead of Cure #1? Just curious. I am making some jalapeno/cheese link sausage and snack sticks and planning to smoke them, but I thought I needed to use Cure #1 if I was smoking. Someone please help me out on this since I can't find a clear answer.

Quick explanation:

Cure #1 is pure cure.
TenderQuick is like a blended cure product and contains curing ingredients in addition to stuff like salt, sugar, etc..

You can use one OR the other to cure meat BUT they are not equal to one another.
Meaning 1 teaspoon of Cure #1 does not equal 1 teaspoon of TenderQuick.

Generally it takes much more TenderQuick to cure meat then it does Cure #1.
TenderQuick is kind of a fast track to curing with salt and sugar cures.
With Cure #1 you add salt and sugar separately, if at all (I have cured with little to no added sugar before).

There is a way to calculate how much TenderQuick is needed to ensure enough cure is used.
For Cure #1 it is 1 level tsp per 5 pounds.

Cure #2 is generally used for dry cured products like Proschutto, Dried Pepperoni, etc. etc. Just remember these meats are usually hung and cured in a drying chamber over time where temp and humidity is controlled. They are basically not cooked with heat like things smoked with Cure #1

I hope this helps :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky