David's Experiment 1 - Smoked Tri Tip Roast Q-view

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dwmckie

Original poster
Jun 29, 2012
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Well, guess I'm just gonna jump in here head first.  Gotta get wet sometime, right?

So, here's what I got going.  I bought a 2.3 lb tri tip roast that I'm going to smoke in my MES.  After letting the roast come to close to room temp, I cut away most of the fat cap. 

4142cc6d_IMG_0001.jpg

Now, when I've tried tri tip roasts before, using the low and slow method, that fat cap didn't do much.  Being that this one was so thick, I went ahead and cut it off.  Next, I considered seasoning.  I've seen a lot of folks go very basic on their tri tips, basically salt and pepper, but I had some Daddy Hinkle's seasoning that my wife wanted to try, so I applied a little Woscestershire sauce to coat, and then patted on the Daddy Hinkles, as shown below in the pic.

f7c85424_IMG_0003.jpg

I got my MES warming up, temp set for 230 degrees F.  When I tried this before, the temp was about 225, but I really didn't get much smoke, so I increased the temp to 230.  I also have some apple wood chips soaking.  I plan on sticking the external temp probe into the thick section (I have yet to test the MES built-in probe).  

Here's the problem from previous attempts.  When I've done this before, I've pulled the roast out at between 135 and 140 degrees F, and put it under aluminum foil for about 30 minutes or so.  Before the foil went on, I removed the probe, and saw a bit of red liquid come out.  After 30 minutes or so, when I cut into the roast, it looked as if it was not entirely done, and almost seemed to bleed a bit.  I had let the meat come to room temp before smoking, and I used a tested probe to track the temp.  I ended up smoking it for another hour and a half at 225, and while it wasn't exactly medium rare, I was still wondering if I had smoked it long enough. 

So, I'm asking you smoke experts to take a look at what I'm doing, and let me know what I'm doing right and what I'm doing wrong.  I'm going to put the roast in when I finish this post, and will take pictures along the way so you all can see what I'm doing.  I really want to learn how to do this right, so if I'm really missing it here, do let me know, okay?

David

I let this go until the IT reached about 138 degrees F, and then pulled it from the smoker.  Before I laid on the foil, I used a stick probe which showed 137 degrees F.  So far, so good.  Now here we are, an hour later, and I pulled the foil off and started slicing.  How does this look to y'all?

2225d366_IMG_0010.jpg

Is this ballpark for rare to medium rare, or is this too pink?  I sliced about a third into the roast, and the slices are looking pretty uniform, as shown in the pic.

47c5e058_IMG_0011.jpg

This time the roast is much more moist, not chewy at all, and has a bolder flavor than previous attempts.  It slices easier as well.  To be honest, I had to keep cutting, as my wife kept sneaking slices for her and our dogs.

So, what do you all think?  How does it look?  Did I do right?  Did I do wrong?  Please let me know.  

David 

Here is how it looks to me.
drool.gif

drool.gif

Nicely done.  I have always done tri-tip at high temp but I think I try your low and slow method.

Last edited:
perfect med /rare, good pink color but no blood running. juices still slightly pink. To me , rare is warm raw meat that has been browned on the outside .

It is Medium/Rare just slightly more toward medium but honestly you Nailed IT! A Med/Rare of 130, Red but hot center is good for very tender cuts like Filet or Strip Loin but tougher cuts like Tri Tip are still pretty chewy at that temp. You taking it the extra couple of degrees to 138*F made it, as you found out, much more tender Beef...I'm a, " Knock it's horns off, wipe it's butt and serve it! " kind of Beef eater but I'll take your Tri Tip any day...JJ

Thanks to all for your comments.  I was sweating this one out, thinking I might have pulled it too early.  We finished the roast off last night, and even though we microwaved it, the tri tip was still tender.  Now, let's see if I can repeat this the next time!  Thanks again!

David

Looks good to me!

I grill more tri tips than I smoke, and I take them a little higher in temp than I would some other cuts.  Yours looks great to me.  A little "bleed" at slicing time is normal even after a rest.  I use a cutting board with a little trough and spoon all that goodness right back onto the cut meat!

Good luck and good smoking.

Nice job - I stop mine at 125 - 130 wrap in foil and in a towel to rest for at least 30 min.  Yours looks mighty tasty  

It looks great, but the real question is not how it looks but how did it taste??  If you are happy with it that is what counts!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky