Dang, that got hot in a hurry!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Dutch

Smoking Guru
Original poster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
OTBS Admin
Group Lead
Jul 7, 2005
Midvale, UT
Last Saturday, I loaded up the firebox in the Lang the same way I normally do-a layer of 4 splits with 3 more layers on top (16 splits total-4 logs worth).  Hit the splits with the ol' Harbor Freight Log Lighter and then went in the house to prep my spare ribs- After 30 minutes, I went outside to start closing things up per Ben's instructions and went back in the house to finish up the ribs.

When I took the ribs out to the smoker, I found that the upper grate (top) thermometer had hit 550° and the lower grate thermometer had hit 480°.

I placed the ribs in the smoker and closed all my intake vents and then opened the warmer box door to help vent some of the heat-about 90 minutes later I was back down to my usual 230°. I thought I had really screwed things up by starting my ribs at such a high temp so I started checking my ribs at the 3 1/2 hour mark using the "bend" method. At the 4 3/4 hour mark, the ribs where bending nicely with a slight tearing of the meat fibers.

So now when folks ask me if my smoker will get hot enough to "grill" on I can answer with a qualified "Heck, yeah"!

The only thing different about this smoke was the weather-80° day, 5 mph wind from the east and humidity of 23%.  Next time I'll build my fire a bit smaller.
biggrin.gif
 Gotta love that learning curve! 

cool.gif

Now you are saying that your smoker got super hot really fast and then you put the ribs on then??? Then they smoked/grilled really fast and only took 4 3/4 hours and they were done??? So how did they taste and are you going to remember this and do it again or what??

Quote:
cool.gif

Now you are saying that your smoker got super hot really fast and then you put the ribs on then??? Then they smoked/grilled really fast and only took 4 3/4 hours and they were done??? So how did they taste and are you going to remember this and do it again or what??
The ribs tasted great, they pulled off the bone with ease but this isn't going to be a method that I'll use on ribs anytime soon as I prefer the "low and slow".  I was just going to let the smoker cool down to 230° on it's own and then put the ribs in but Ma Dutch didn't want to wait the 3 hours or so for the smoker to cool-that's why I opened my warmer box door to help dump some heat, I should have just left the chamber lid open and dump the heat that way.  I might try this technique (hot and fast) on my next packer brisky but not for ribs~  If I was going to make hot and fast ribs-I would use my propane grill and save the wood.
biggrin.gif

YMMV

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky