Crawfish Boudin ~ Foamheart

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

foamheart

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Will post a couple of pictures, but was a bad day for finishing my boudin.

Made and stuffed boudin yesterday, I had a couple of boudin ball with supper last night and really impressed myself.

Got up this AM and checked the boudin in the reefer ( I love that smell), the reefer wasn't cold, at best lukewarm.

Well I am better than that, I can get that 15 pounds of boudin in the smoker early, then instead of letting it set in the reefer cooling, I can go directly into the freezer.

Load my cold smoker with pecan shells, load the tube with apple pellets and went straight to loading the boudin on the dowels to smoke instead of preheating. 30/40 mins later, I had smoke rolling heavy, and a smoker that should have gone to 250 was only at 80 degrees. Smoker was dead !! I couldn't apply smoke because the boudin was wet and couldn't dry. It did not dehydrate in the reefer over night, and it could not dry in the smoker in the short amount of time allowed at slow low a temperature as to be safe with crawfish and rice stuffed in a casing.

I cleaned out the other reefer and took them to it. Had other things more pressing today, one of which was a dying reefer full of beer (the important stuff!), will reevaluate tomorrow.

So here is stuffed boudin.
IMG_1733.JPG

And all linked up and into the reefer.

IMG_1736.JPG

That's a lot of mudbugs there. I believe there should be a crawfish tail in ever bite and I really did not want to loss 'em.
I'll scratch my head again tomorrow, but 15# is a lot to smoke in anything else I have. Besides I couldn't hang them so they could dry.
There is an answer, I just have to think upon it.

Hope to be back tomorrow night with some smoking pictures.

Last edited:
I'm sure a solution will present itself... it looks and sounds amazing already!

Kevin, That is a really bad day for smoking,send your sausage to the neighbors to get it smoked !

Man am I drooling. That looks so good. That been on my to to list since I seen someone made some a while back,

Last edited:
Some days are like that but I'm sure you will prevail. Nice post about mud bug sausage sounds great. Going to post your recipe?

Warren

Man that sucks!
I know your recipes are all excellent & this one sounds awesome, anything with crawfish is good with me.
I hope it works out for you.
Al

Looks Great to me Foamy!!
There's your solution:
Work on that reefer full of beer (the important stuff!),
Then reevaluate tomorrow.
Like.

Bear

Time for a new refer ????
Don't waste that crawfish boudin...
My refer has some room...

Fixed the reefer, who says you don't have to defrost a frost free reefer!! It was a HUGE block of ice encapsulating all the valves and controllers. That was when I finally figured out how you can remove a frozen panel. LOL I have hand dried it today (well with a fan).

Man that sucks!
I know your recipes are all excellent & this one sounds awesome, anything with crawfish is good with me.
I hope it works out for you.
Al

Thanks Al, it will be ok, I made boudin long before anyone ever thought of smoking it. The house smells wonderful! Shame I can't share it with everyone here, I know you'd enjoy it and its something special here, where we have loads of mudbugs.

Looks Great to me Foamy!!
There's your solution:
Work on that reefer full of beer (the important stuff!),
Then reevaluate tomorrow.
Like.

Bear

Thanks Bear, great minds think alike. Of course it may come with age too. LOL I don't get mad and kick things and throw stuff anymore (well not as much anyway). LOL

OK, thought I would post some unsmoked crawfish boudin pictures. All the red, is crawfish, I want a crawfish in every bite!

IMG_1749.JPG

Ok, OK, I am not a photographer.

IMG_1750.JPG

Well a little better, but .......

IMG_1751.JPG

Thats one tray, the other I just finished up and in the reefer chillin out. I'll see about writing up a recipe although you guys should realize how many mudbugs are incased in those pork casings. Thats a lot of hours with a piece of bacon rind on a string! <Chuckles>

I am guessing about 25 bags, 2 links to a bag for the moist part, will go in the freezer.

BTW he's a older photo its wonderful with a cold longneck and baseball game.

IMG_6845.JPG

Smoked aged sharp cheddar, honey Crisp apples & smoked crawfish boudin. Now where's that cold longneck!

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky