Crab Cakes Over Angel hair Pasta with Crawfish Tasso Butter Sauce, Baked Italian Tomatoes, and a Strawberry Pecan Side Salad....Homemade Key Lime Pie

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
Well...Mock crab cakes. I've made these before:
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t...e-pasta-and-side-salad-with-crustinis.300501/
Decided to kick up the sauce this time.
Last of the fresh fillets from fishing trip last Sunday. Had 2# of meat left. I saved the thick sections above the rib cage for this recipe.
IMG_20210723_200732971.jpg

Strawberry Pecan salad:
IMG_20210723_200659725.jpg

Lump crab meat is running $37-40/# here so if we had bought all crab, it would have cost $135 bucks for 4# of crab. Using 50/50 fish and crab claw meat, only had to spend $50 on the crab claw meat. This is for wild U.S.A. caught and packaged blue crab meat. First time making them this summer...Oh man were they good!

The sauce recipe:
http://www.jfolse.com/recipes/stocks_sauces/stock_sauce31.htm
I subbed tasso for the andouille.

The Italian baked tomatoes were a really great side with this dish! Everything danced well together on the plate.

The pie:
IMG_20210723_130444381.jpg

Tide will be good around August 1-3 so if the rain will hold off we will go again.

Last edited:
That all looks good to me. Question...With that Sauce, you start with Cooks Crawfish Tails, then simmer 5 minutes to reduce. Is there any tenderness left in the Tails?
I can't believe CLAW MEAT it $25 a pound. I've not bought any in years. Was $5 not too many years ago though. Jumbo Lump was $25.
A trick to speed your Crab Pickin' along. Get a UV Light. Crab Shells Glow and makes picking them out Super Easy!...JJ

Reactions: zippy12
Wow Keith!! That looks fantastic. Excellent job my friend. You do some amazing stuff with seafood, that's for sure. Love seeing your posts and hopefully the rain holds off so we can see some more :emoji_wink:

Robert

That all looks good to me. Question...With that Sauce, you start with Cooks Crawfish Tails, then simmer 5 minutes to reduce. Is there any tenderness left in the Tails?
I can't believe CLAW MEAT it $25 a pound. I've not bought any in years. Was $5 not too many years ago though. Jumbo Lump was $25.
A trick to speed your Crab Pickin' along. Get a UV Light. Crab Shells Glow and makes picking them out Super Easy!...JJ
Thanks Chef jj! Yes, crawfish tails are still tender. I don't know what happened to the market but the price for crab has gone insane.
Thanks for the UV light tip.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
Dang! That all looks great!
Thanks kilo!

Wow Keith!! That looks fantastic. Excellent job my friend. You do some amazing stuff with seafood, that's for sure. Love seeing your posts and hopefully the rain holds off so we can see some more :emoji_wink:

Robert
Thanks Robert! We got run off the water just when the fish started biting last trip out. Hope we can make a full trip next time.

Everything Looks delicous
Thanks smokerjim!

Looks amazing. Nice work Keith
Thanks Jake!

Found it thanks...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky