Covering the drip tray/pan for ease of cleaning?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

RetiredInFl

Original poster
I see 3rd party drip pans/trays or whatever they are called :D and I also hear "use alum foil" but my question is: looking at some grills (Camp Chef for example) the drip trays don't seem to be solid. They seem (from photos) to not be smooth and have slots in them.

Can they be covered with (fill in whatever) or will that cause issues?

Getting ready to buy my first PG, I like the Camp Chef with sear box but from photos I see the drip tray doesn't seem "standard." Easy cleaning is my goal.

My MES has a drip pan on the bottom that drains into an external cup. I cover with HD Foil then poke a hole for drainage. Works great...JJ

Any LG900 owners have advice, tip n tricks to keeping drippings off the diffuser given its round profile I'm guessing it's a bit more difficult than other grills with flat diffusers.
Would a simple cover of tin foil do the job?
Cheers Pete

Al foil on a flat tray tilted to an external grease trap really makes clean-up a breeze. And if you keep cook temps >250 you get hardly no ash or grease anywhere. Cleanest smoker I've ever used.

I have a CC Smoke Pro24 s&g my tray has the slots, I do cover with foil and just put slits where the louvered openings are. And it is so much easier to replace the foil them to clean it after you use it and have a buildup on it. Hope this helped with the info your looking for.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky