Corned beef?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Kevin DeShazo

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Nov 7, 2018
My mother in law sent a piece of kosher corned beef home with my wife the other nite, 2.44 lbs of it.

How would that turn out in the smoker or would I be better throwing that small a piece of meat in the oven?

If I do smoke it, what would be the approx cook time, I know to go more by temp, but just an approximation is good enough.

Ithe would come out great. Season, see below, and Smoke at 225 until tender. A probe will slide in with just slight resistance, an IT of about 195. It will take about 3 hours...JJ

Better 'en NY Pastrami Rub

2T Turbinado Sugar

2T Black Peppercorns

1T Coriander Seed

1T Dill Seed

1T Dry Minced Onion

1T Dry Minced Garlic

1tsp Allspice Berries

1tsp Mustard Seed

1tsp Dry Thyme Leaves

3 Bay Leaves, crumbled

1tsp Juniper Berries

All Spices are Whole and were toasted in a dry pan over Medium heat until fragrant.

Let the Spices cool then Grind in a cheapo Coffee Grinder until slightly less than Coarse. The Garlic and Onion do not need to be toasted. If grinding do so only slightly as the Minced size is pretty close to perfect for Pastrami.

I will soak mine in water to hopefully pull some of the salt out,son did 1 and was way to salty to the point of I cant eat this :emoji_anguished:

I will soak mine in water to hopefully pull some of the salt out,son did 1 and was way to salty to the point of I cant eat this :emoji_anguished:
my brother did the same thing last year, bought a corned beef then added his rub, way to salty could hardly eat it, as mike said you may want to soak it.

+3 on the soak. I'd go overnight with at least 3 water changes.

Chris

Didnt have time to finish in the smoker last nite, so it finished in the oven this morn.

Knew there is a lot of salt involved in the processing of the meat so when I rubbing it yesterday, I omitted salt from the spices.

Ill find out when I get home from my part time job this afternoon

0120191724.jpg

Doesnt look bad but could of been better. Small piece of meat + long cook time = slightly drier meat.

Not at all but I didnt add any salt to the seasoning because I knew it would be a bit salty. I seasoned it more like a traditional brisket vs corned beef. My only real issue is bc it is such a small piece of meat it dried out, so gonna try heating it up using some steaming veggie broth and a splash of guiness.

Tomorrow will be a turkey breast my mil gave us also

Veggie broth and guiness steam surely did the trick, moistened it back up and was rather tasty

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky