Corned Beef ala Sous Vide

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bearcarver

Gone but not forgotten RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Sep 12, 2009
Macungie, PA
Corned Beef ala Sous Vide

So I got Mrs Bear to pick up a Corned Beef @ 4.2 LBS, at “Giant” Food Market, on sale for $1.67 lb.
I had never done a “Corned Beef” in my SV Machine, so I watched a bunch of YouTubes on “Sous Vide Corned Beef”, and it was easy for a change, because I believe it was 6 out of 7 of them said 140° for 48 hours, instead of "All over the place" like most YouTube videos.

I put it in a bowl of Cold Water & into the Fridge @ 12 Noon on 3-8-2019.
Then at 10 PM I refreshed the water in the bowl & rinsed the Brisket Point, before putting it back in.

Then on Saturday, 3-9, I rinsed it well, and after applying the little packet of Spices, I vac packed it, and put in in my Sous Vide Supreme @ 140° at 11 AM.
Then on Monday, 3-11, at 12 Noon, I removed the Pack & put it right into a bowl of Ice water, and into the Fridge.
Then at 4 PM, I removed the brisket from the Bag & Rinsed it again, and sliced it into Strips of Corned Beef.
I had to wait until Noon, because Saturday night we turned our clocks ahead 1 hour (Daylight Savings), and I wanted it to be 48 hours for my records.

So I started by buttering one side of each of two slices of Rye Bread.
Then I put that side down in a pan until slightly toasted.
Then I flipped them over on a plate, and spread some Thousand Island Dressing on the Buttered toasted sides.
Note: My Store didn’t have any Russian Dressing—Only Thousand Island.
Then I laid some strips of heated Corned Beef on the Bread, and a couple slices of Swiss Cheese.
Then a small a pile of Sauer Kraut, and put that in the Nuke for 30 seconds to melt the Cheese.
Then I topped it with the other slice of Buttered, Toasted Rye with Thousand Island on it.
Then I put butter on the outside & toasted the Sammy like I do a Grilled Cheese.
Cut it in half & plated it.

I was disappointed in this Sammy. I don’t know if it was the Thousand Island, but the next night I switched to Yellow Mustard, and saved the Kraut for some Hot Dogs to follow up on our Menu, as soon as we run out of Corned Beef.
I enjoyed these Sammies much better.

BTW: For Years Mrs Bear said she didn’t like Corned Beef, but she was willing to give it another chance, and try some, if I make it. Well she tried some, and she said she didn’t hate it, but wasn’t crazy about it, so I consumed the rest of it over the next few nights.

Then after it was all gone, I made 4 Dogs, and used up the rest of the Kraut, because I never throw food away!!

Oh—Forgot to mention—I sliced up a Big old “Kosher Dill Deli Pickle” that followed Mrs Bear home, and it went well with my Sammies.

Thanks for Dropping By,

Bear

Soaking overnight to reduce salt content:
IMG_3255.jpg

Apply seasonings & ready for Vac Bagging:
IMG_3261.jpg

Fresh out of Vac Bag, after 48 hours in SV @ 140°:
IMG_3270.jpg

Slicing up for Sammies:
IMG_3271.jpg

Butter one side & toast that side (to be inside of Sammy):
IMG_3273.jpg

Toasted Buttered inside of Sammy:
IMG_3274.jpg

Thousand Island Dressing applied:
IMG_3275.jpg

Add a bunch of Corned Beef & Swiss Cheese:
IMG_3276.jpg

Top with Sauer Kraut:
IMG_3277.jpg

Slicing Kosher Dill Deli Pickle:
IMG_3279.jpg

Butter outsides & toast in Pan:
IMG_3280.jpg

Cut in half & plate with Pickle slices:
IMG_3281.jpg

Next Night's Supper

Yellow Mustard on both slices of Rye:
IMG_3282.jpg

Corned Beef:
IMG_3283.jpg

Swiss Cheese:
IMG_3284.jpg

Melted Cheese, cut in half, Plate & add Dill Pickle Spear:
IMG_3285.jpg

Last edited:
Looks Good, I have got to do a Corned Beef and make Pastrami Now I am hungry

Nice Job Bear I "Like" it

Gary

Looks very good.
Got a couple more corned beef briskets in the smoker now. The one the other day turned out so well, doing up one for sammies and one to give to the cousin for whatever he chooses.

I did 6 corn beef for church pot luck, brined in water 48hr (change water ever 6hr) because needed to get salt out.
IMG_2372(1).JPG
I was told it was a hit.

LOOKS GREAT! I add a little horseradish to the thousand island here or it's too sweet.

Thank You Sam!!
Yup, I believe Horseradish would have done the Trick!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Last edited:
Looks great bear! I need to find some of your sous vide recipes on here. Got a Nova for xmas and havent really used it much, wife hates the chicken in it, she thinks its too mushy.

So, how was the taste and texture of the corned beef? SWMBO refused to let me try sous vide corned beef for St. Paddy's day. She refuses to believe that sous vide is good for anything and brings negative judgement to anything I try with it.
BTW Russian dressing is pretty easy to whip up at home. You probably have everything on hand already.

One of my favorite sammies right there. Grilled corned beef and swiss. Nice job Bear.

Point for sure
Chris

Looks Good, I have got to do a Corned Beef and make Pastrami Now I am hungry

Nice Job Bear I "Like" it

Gary

Thank You Gary!!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Looks great bear! I need to find some of your sous vide recipes on here. Got a Nova for xmas and havent really used it much, wife hates the chicken in it, she thinks its too mushy.

Thank You Geebs!!
Go to the bottom of any of my Posts, and click on "Bear's Step by Steps".
Then scroll down to the "Sous Vide" section.

Bear

Looks very good.
Got a couple more corned beef briskets in the smoker now. The one the other day turned out so well, doing up one for sammies and one to give to the cousin for whatever he chooses.

Great !!
Sammies--Sammies--Sammies!!!

Bear

I did 6 corn beef for church pot luck, brined in water 48hr (change water ever 6hr) because needed to get salt out.
View attachment 390814
I was told it was a hit.

That's Great!!
I'm sure it really was a Hit !!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

So, how was the taste and texture of the corned beef? SWMBO refused to let me try sous vide corned beef for St. Paddy's day. She refuses to believe that sous vide is good for anything and brings negative judgement to anything I try with it.
BTW Russian dressing is pretty easy to whip up at home. You probably have everything on hand already.

The taste was Great, and the texture was fine---Fork Tender but not mushy at all.

Try one of these, and see if she has any negative judgements. These give the best SV result of all:
Eye Round in SV Best of All Eye Rounds (11-21-17)
Beef Eye Round (Finally) (9-18-18)

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky