Cold Weather means Soup Time! Now With Recipe!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Looks and sounds mighty yummy. My son in law and granddaughter will be all over that when I try this recipe lol. Like
Congrats on the carousel ride.

Thanks Canuck! Humbled to have some soup roll with all the good smoked meats up there. seems out a place a bit, but the weather gives a pass I guess. :D Next batch I'll have to make my own Bacon...

That blend of Broccoli and Potato Soup is a brilliant idea! Looks great.
A little info...Russet/Baking Potatoes will be very tender in soup and some breaks down making the soup thick and creamy.
Basic White or Red Potatoes are tender but firm in soup and hold their shape. So creamier soup is desired use Bakers. For Chunky potato soup, creamy or other, use White or Red. Golden Potatoes have a texture in between the above.
Inspired for Potato Soup, I pulled this recipe out. I was given to my Dad by a German friend, Mel Worth. The Recipe is an old one and will interest the Sausage Makers, among us. This one is creamy and chunky with a great depth of flavor. A whole variety of sausage works from Hot Dogs, Brats and Knockwurst, to Kielbasa, Venison Sausage and even Summer Sausage. This recipe makes a lot and freezes well...JJ

Authentic German Potato Soup

1Stk Butter
2Lbs Sausage of choice*
2C diced Onion
1C diced Leeks
4-5 Carrots, diced
4 Ribs Celery, diced
2-3 Cloves Garlic, minced
3Lbs Red Potatoes, 3/4" Dice**
2T Fine Chopped Fresh Parsley
1tsp Caraway Seed
1tsp Fresh Thyme Leaves
1/2C AP Flour
4C Chicken Broth
1C White Wine
2C Heavy Cream
1tsp Maggi Seasoning, optional but traditional.
1tsp Black Pepper
Salt or Chix Base to taste.

Note: * Knockwurst is classic but, Hot Dogs are a great substitute, slice about 1/2" thick. Brats work too. Remove from the casing and roll in about 1/2" balls, then saute just until Golden.

** I use Red Potatoes for a chunky soup and Yellow or Russet for pureed soup.

Add Butter to an 6QT stock pot and lightly brown the Sausage, remove and set aside.
Add Mirepoix, Herbs and Spices and saute until Onions are translucent.
Add Flour and make a Roux.
Add Broth and Wine and whisk to combine then add Potatoes.
Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer.
Add Sausage and cook until Potatoes are tender, about 35-45 minutes.
Add Cream, Maggi and Black Pepper. Bring just to a simmer.
Add Salt or Base to desired taste and serve.

Makes 8 Dinner Portions or about 16 Apps.

That blend of Broccoli and Potato Soup is a brilliant idea! Looks great.
A little info...Russet/Baking Potatoes will be very tender in soup and some breaks down making the soup thick and creamy.
Basic White or Red Potatoes are tender but firm in soup and hold their shape. So creamier soup is desired use Bakers. For Chunky potato soup, creamy or other, use White or Red. Golden Potatoes have a texture in between the above.
Inspired for Potato Soup, I pulled this recipe out. I was given to my Dad by a German friend, Mel Worth. The Recipe is an old one and will interest the Sausage Makers, among us. This one is creamy and chunky with a great depth of flavor. A whole variety of sausage works from Hot Dogs, Brats and Knockwurst, to Kielbasa, Venison Sausage and even Summer Sausage. This recipe makes a lot and freezes well...JJ

German Potato Soup

1Stk Butter

2Lbs Sausage of choice*

2C diced Onion

1C diced Leeks

4-5 Carrots, diced

4 Ribs Celery, diced

2-3 Cloves Garlic, minced

3Lbs Red Potatoes, 3/4" Dice**

2T Fine Chopped Fresh Parsley

1tsp Caraway Seed

1tsp Fresh Thyme Leaves

1/2C AP Flour

4C Chicken Broth

1C White Wine

2C Heavy Cream

1tsp Maggi Seasoning, optional but traditional.

1tsp Black Pepper

Salt or Chix Base to taste.

Note: * If using Smoked Sausage, slice about 1/4". For Fresh Sausage, remove from casing and roll in about 1/2" balls.

** I use Red Potatoes for a chunky soup and Yellow or Russet for pureed soup.

Add Butter to an 6QT stock pot and brown the Sausage, remove and set aside.

Add Mirepoix, Herbs and Spices and saute until Onions are translucent.

Add Flour and make a Roux.

Add Broth and Wine and whisk to combine then add Potatoes.

Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer.

Add Sausage and cook until Potatoes are tender, about 35-45 minutes.

Add Cream, Maggi and Black Pepper. Bring just to a simmer.

Add Salt or Base to desired taste and serve.

Makes 8 Dinner Portions or about 16 Apps.
Thanks Chef
hat-tip.gif
! I'm with ya on the spuds. although my recipe calls for Yukon for the reasons stated, I used Russet this go round due to availability
spy.gif
Read a lot about them last year when determining the recipe parts. Great info to have though.

And thank for the recipe. my soup database is lacking so I'm always down to try new ones out.

It’s been chilly here in Illinois for a few weeks now and I have been ADDICTED to this chili blanco recipe Chef Tom with All things BBQ posted on YouTube. It’s amazing! Here is the link

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky