Cold Weather means Soup Time! Now With Recipe!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Misplaced Nebraskan

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Sep 20, 2018
Austin, TX
Sorry if this is in the wrong spot... couldn't find a spot for Soup so I figured General Discussion... Mods, please move as needed if needed. Thanks in advance.

OK... Last year the wife and I were craving soup on a cold day. Couldn't decide on Broccoli Cheese or Potato... So we decided to roll with both. Couldn't find a combo recipe so looked at about ten recipes of each and jotted some notes down and threw something together. This year I made the tweaks from the notes we made last year and it is close! only a couple minor changes to make it good enough for us!

Anyway... Photos and notes:

Start with Potatoes of course. Oiled and covered in sea salt

full

Tossed em on the rack at 350°F for 60 mins or until fork probed tender.

full

Next... Bacon
dancingbacon.gif
. Cut up and in a cold pan

full

Cook on Med-Hi heat til it starts to really render and make 'Bacon Foam'

full

Time to pull it:

full

and bacon draining

full

Reserved Bacon Juice

full

Stick of Buttah! Unsalted. And all that Bacon Fond Goodness

full

Finished Spuds

full

Add about 1/4 cup... yes, 1/4 cup of the reserved bacon juice and the large diced onion

full

After about 5 mins, added flour to make a thin "roux"

full

Chicken Stock and milk next

full

Chopped up a head of Broccoli

full

Diced up spuds

full

Into the pot with the broccoli to let it soften a touch

full

Forgot a couple photos on accident... But added in Spuds, Bacon, Sour Cream, Shredded cheese and Green onions and heated through.

Bowled up and ready to roll!

full

Overall, we got the consistency we were looking for, not too thick but not runny. Just need to chop the bacon a bit smaller in prep and tweak the seasoning a bit and should be good to be filed away!

It'll definitely hit the spot on a cold day for sure and slow ya down. But we Love it and are gonna nap it off now. Thanks for tagging along.
hat-tip.gif

Oh yeah, Pro-tip... Serve the Mrs. first before trying to get pretty plated photos...
rofl.gif

Link to auto-download Recipe:

AJ's Fully Loaded Potato Broccoli Soup.docx

Attachments

• AJ's Fully Loaded Potato Broccoli Soup.docx
    15.2 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Looks really good from here. It's also fairly close to a corn chowder recipe we make.

Point for sure.
Chris

Reactions: Misplaced Nebraskan
Ooh yeah. Showing this to SWMBO who is the soup master in this house. Guaranteed she will mess with the recipe 'cause that is what she does. Hope she stays close.

Reactions: Misplaced Nebraskan
Fantastic looking soup!
I have a ham bone just waiting for the first cool day we have for some bean soup!
I hope it looks as good as your soup does!
Great work & congrats on making the carousel!!!
Al

Thanks Al! I'm still waiting for turkey day to acquire my next ham bone. Red beans and rice on tap with that.
dancingbacon.gif

Ooh yeah. Showing this to SWMBO who is the soup master in this house. Guaranteed she will mess with the recipe 'cause that is what she does. Hope she stays close.

Tinker away! I had to work later than planned today so will update OP with Recipe tomorrow. But by all means let SWMBO be SWMBO. Just post pics and tag me.
thumbsup.gif

Awesome! Like b

Thanks B!
cheers.gif

That would be some great soup on a cold day. I'll probably have to make some now.
POINT
Gary

I'll get the recipe up soon so y'all can try/change/alter and give feedback
biggrin.png

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky