Cold Smoking Turkey?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

checkerfred

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Aug 9, 2011
Alabama
Has anyone tried this? I’m thinking about spatchcocking the turkey and then cold smoking for 2-3 hours with my AmazN tube. Then slathering it with herb butter and cooking on higher heat at maybe 375-400. Would love to hear your thoughts on this. It’s cold out so I figure temps in the 30s would all this to be done safely.

Not to be rude, but why?

Chris

A little bit more info would be helpful.

Size of bird and what type of smoker?

What end results are you trying to achieve?

Not to be rude, but why?

Chris

No worries. Reason is I’ve found my tube goes out if I turn up the heat. It doesn’t get enough oxygen to keep burning and just chokes out. The more heat the less oxygen inside and the less smoke you get. Otherwise I’d just let it smoke with the higher temps. I’m all ears for a solution to this

A little bit more info would be helpful.

Size of bird and what type of smoker?

What end results are you trying to achieve?

Not sure on the size. I’ll have to look later but I’d say it’s average size. Maybe 12-15 lbs?

Smoker is a GMG Daniel Boone

My end result is a decent smoky flavor and crisp skin. So I thought smoke it first and then cook fairly high to crisp it up. I’ve found my pellet tube won’t smoke at higher temps

Not sure on the size. I’ll have to look later but I’d say it’s average size. Maybe 12-15 lbs?

Smoker is a GMG Daniel Boone

My end result is a decent smoky flavor and crisp skin. So I thought smoke it first and then cook fairly high to crisp it up. I’ve found my pellet tube won’t smoke at higher temps

Ok, I see where you are going with this.

I take it that you wouldn't be using any heat on the GMG. Just be mindful of the 4 hour rule...40 to 140 in four hours.

I hear that the tubes are notorious for not staying lit. Any chance of being able to try a tray during a hot smoke to see if it chokes out too?

Reactions: checkerfred
As you surmised, the cold temps outside ,<40°F, will allow you to do this safely. So have at it.
Give Todd a call on the tube going out. The AMNTS was specifically designed to run in a low oxygen smoker/grill like pellet grills and gassers...JJ

Reactions: checkerfred
Ok, I see where you are going with this.

I take it that you wouldn't be using any heat on the GMG. Just be mindful of the 4 hour rule...40 to 140 in four hours.

I hear that the tubes are notorious for not staying lit. Any chance of being able to try a tray during a hot smoke to see if it chokes out too?

I’ve got the tray and it’s the same. The tubes are actually a little better.

As you surmised, the cold temps outside ,<40°F, will allow you to do this safely. So have at it.
Give Todd a call on the tube going out. The AMNTS was specifically designed to run in a low oxygen smoker/grill like pellet grills and gassers...JJ

Ok that’s what I figured. I’ll call and talk to him. I’ve got 3 of them, the tray type, a solid tube and then the expandable. They work great at lower temps like 225-275 but going higher to like 375 or so they choke out. I’ll call and see what I might can do different

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky