Cold Smoked Salmon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokeyLee15

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 13, 2021
Central Ohio
I have been on a big cold smoked salmon kick, the girls at work love it! I start with two who salmon filets, check for bones and trim accordingly. Next I cover about a cup/cup and a half of sugar or brown sugar and salt. Add about a half cup of lemon zest and chopped fresh dill. Distribute evenly to the skin side and top of filet. Vacuum seal for 24 hrs in fridge, rinse and sit in the fridge uncovered for an hour or so to dry out. Then I use my smoke tube to smoke for 24hrs, I use Lumber Jack comp blend. Soooo delicious! It’s not too much work as I have to refill the tube a few times, just tedious. If anyone has any better advice let me know!

Attachments

• 6550949D-CEEE-41C2-B6C3-7E58DEF608AA.jpeg
    6550949D-CEEE-41C2-B6C3-7E58DEF608AA.jpeg
    128 KB · Views: 38
  • 7A6BA443-ED62-4E35-8D8B-594A6E4A1625.jpeg
    7A6BA443-ED62-4E35-8D8B-594A6E4A1625.jpeg
    129.2 KB · Views: 38
Looks really good.

I was thinking you had to cure fish that was going to be cold smoked? Does just the salt work keep the bacteria away?

Yes the salt alone will work, but just to be extra safe I use cure#1. I also use sushi grade salmon. If I use just regular salmon, I freeze it at 0 degrees for 7 days after it is sliced. That will kill any pathogens or parasites.
Al

Reactions: jcam222
Hi. This might be a silly question. Is there a minimum temperature required for cold smoked salmon?

Thanks

Yes the salt alone will work, but just to be extra safe I use cure#1. I also use sushi grade salmon. If I use just regular salmon, I freeze it at 0 degrees for 7 days after it is sliced. That will kill any pathogens or parasites.
Al

This may be a bit pedantic, but apparently it's -4 degrees Fahrenheit for 7 days to make sure it's safe. This is my source; it's incredibly in-depth, and though the original question that began the thread is specific to sous vide, the responses that follow are much, much more broad. I personally found it to be extremely helpful, especially given the ridiculous amount of misinformation that I'd encountered in recipe posts, blog posts, etc. If you're at all concerned about food safety of raw fish (which you probably should be,) it is a must-read.

Last edited:
Reactions: jcam222
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky