Steelhead Filet… Two Ways In Process!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Rafter H BBQ

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 18, 2013
S.E. Idaho
Hey all, was gifted a nice Steelhead filet…. Planning on half smoked as a snack with a cold one… and half as dinner tomorrow blackened… wife and daughter will likely do another seasoning combo, they do not care for spicy!

So, here’s the start of the smoked portion…. 1 cup brown sugar and one cup kosher salt in each bag. In the fridge to do their thing…

IMG_4667.jpeg

IMG_4668.jpeg

Portion for dinner tomorrow night…

IMG_4666.jpeg

Will update as we go…

Looks like an awesome start for sure. I was playing around with a nice steely filet one time and did a quick dry rub with TQ for a couple hours, rinsed it then did granulated garlic, fresh cracked BP and fresh squeezed lime juice and on the smoke. When it got done, with some other meats, I brought it inside to rest while I got the other meats done. By the time I got back into the kitchen the fish was gone. Wife and kids tore it up, lol. I think I got about. 1 1/2 or 2” piece is all. Very good fish.

Looks like an awesome start for sure. I was playing around with a nice steely filet one time and did a quick dry rub with TQ for a couple hours, rinsed it then did granulated garlic, fresh cracked BP and fresh squeezed lime juice and on the smoke. When it got done, with some other meats, I brought it inside to rest while I got the other meats done. By the time I got back into the kitchen the fish was gone. Wife and kids tore it up, lol. I think I got about. 1 1/2 or 2” piece is all. Very good fish.

Eric, sounds like a great cook on that filet… and have to admit… I don’t blame your wife and kids! Steels provide some tasty eats!

Both ways you are doing it is amazing! When I would cure a filet and leave the belly meat on it, my old man would almost fight someone for that portion.

Hard to get steelhead down here. When Huey (Salmon Clubber) used to come visit each year to hog hunt he'd bring us several filets. They were far and away better than what we can occasionally find here in Texas.

Looking forward to the finished pictures

Reactions: Rafter H BBQ
Both ways you are doing it is amazing! When I would cure a filet and leave the belly meat on it, my old man would almost fight someone for that portion.

Hard to get steelhead down here. When Huey (Salmon Clubber) used to come visit each year to hog hunt he'd bring us several filets. They were far and away better than what we can occasionally find here in Texas.

Looking forward to the finished pictures
Hell yeah, the belly on almost every critter is the best part. Salmon and other red meat fish, catfish, pork, beef, probably even armadillo.

Well, figured I’d update this thread with the bad news. Been one of those weeks… as JLeonard JLeonard and Brokenhandle Brokenhandle know I was fixing our clothes washer last Saturday and just my luck… not using my best judgement I was using the phone for a flashlight… it slipped out of my hand and right into a tub full of water.

Next, we had a power outage… and where I put the steelhead was in my project fridge… not thinking to check it when the power come back on… the GFCI tripped and I didn’t notice for a few days. So, everything in the fridge including the steelhead was a loss. Kind of disappointing…

Well, figured I’d update this thread with the bad news. Been one of those weeks… as JLeonard JLeonard and Brokenhandle Brokenhandle know I was fixing our clothes washer last Saturday and just my luck… not using my best judgement I was using the phone for a flashlight… it slipped out of my hand and right into a tub full of water.

Next, we had a power outage… and where I put the steelhead was in my project fridge… not thinking to check it when the power come back on… the GFCI tripped and I didn’t notice for a few days. So, everything in the fridge including the steelhead was a loss. Kind of disappointing…
Well Hell Justin, that’s not good news. Life does happen and it’s always expensive. Sorry you lost that stuff. Always can start again, that’s just what we do.

Reactions: Rafter H BBQ

Total Bummer man

Chris

not using my best judgement I was using the phone for a flashlight… it slipped out of my hand and right into a tub full of water.
A good friend is a master plumber and general handyman. His smartphone is essential to look-up manuals, order parts, create invoices etc., he goes to great lengths to not damage it on jobs. But every now and then he has the same kind of water hazard story to tell. "I set a new toilet this morning and..."

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky