Clod Heaven

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

billy brown

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 27, 2015
southwestern ontario
Cool and rainy in our part of Ontario yesterday so had to keep the old WSM inside for the whole cook. I had my butcher square up an 8 lb chunk of clod to help with even cooking and seasoned it with kosher salt and coarse pepper. Full water pan and cherry for smoke, the temp bounced around a bit but spent most of the time around 240. Started mopping after 4 hours with a redeye mop recipe from Paul Kirk. Turned it fat side down for a couple of hours more until IT was 160 then wrapped in butcher paper until up to 191. Rested for an hour then sliced it up.
Extremely tender and moist, not too smokey. Served with a mustard beer sauce and sweet onion. The more clod I smoke the less inclined I am to do brisket, we just love them clods!
20190616_075826.jpg
20190616_115342.jpg
20190616_180647.jpg
20190616_181551.jpg

Thanks, everyone and now looking for a little advice here. For an upcoming party I'm planning to do beef clod and wonder what kind of time adjustment I would be looking at. So an 8 lb clod was about a 9 hour cook and I'd like to do two 10 lb clods, one on each rack. 10 lb is about the biggest I can fit on my 18.5" WSM. Any idea how much more time they would take vs one 8 pounder?
Thanks in advance.

Now that looks great, Definite like for me. My brother and sister in law have been talking about doing one for yrs, I may just have to do this and invite them over and get a little family competition going. yummm

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky