Learning about Beef Shoulder Clod

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I should have known better - half way is good enough...

Ordered a CHOICE (I mean like 12-emails back and forth with CHOICE bolded) shoulder clod, and went to pick it up this morning and not only was it a select clod (from an old steer) the cryovac was broken and package was full of air and the inbred dirt bag had the nerve to try to used-car-sales me that Choice vs. Select doesn't matter for slow cooking and offered to put the mess in a larger plastic bag. I got my deposit back and left.

Like I said - I should have known better - I'll order one from New York City and get exactly what I asked for without the excuses...

Pathetic.

Last edited:
Reactions: jcam222
Well it seems like the choice beef shoulder clod idea is dead - not only are there ridiculously few actual butcher shops left in Austin (Texas, the beef capitol of America, of all places...), the shops that are left have been sold to wokesters that smirk at the wisdom and experience that 50-years of running a business brings to the table, and no one can get a clod except for the shop that tried to bait & switch the select clod on me - also an old shop sold to a former used-car-salesman that thinks talk is a substitute for character and integrity.

Oh well...

Also - I had a few more emails with the great fellow at Kreuz Market in Lockhart and and they use only choice clods for their beef clod offering, and for the briskets they use only select to avoid the wad of fat often found in the point section of choice and prime briskets.

I thought that was interesting and I may have to try a select brisket to smoke one of these days but I have never liked the flat section of any brisket unles cured to become a corned beef, so there's that.

Last edited:
there ridiculously few actual butcher shops left in Austin
There is a meat market in Taylor that might be able to help you out. It's called the Taylor Meat Company. I've never purchased anything from them but I've heard a lot of folks saying good stuff about them. There is also a place in Georgetown called Bar 3 Ranch. From what I understand they do all of their own meat processing and could possibly offer what you are looking for. Best of luck and don't give up!! :emoji_wink: It took years for me to locate a source for beef bellies but was well worth the time and wait.

Robert

Reactions: Retired Spook
I have had it at Lockhart Smokehouse in Dallas a few times. It's leaner than brisket and they cut it thinner. There's a lot less surface to meat ratio. I like it but I can't say I prefer it to brisket. The clod might be broken down into other cuts these days, or turned into ground meat. Kreuz does cook hot and fast. That's probably why their briskets are way less consistent vs. modern day craft style briskets.

There is a meat market in Taylor that might be able to help you out. It's called the Taylor Meat Company. I've never purchased anything from them but I've heard a lot of folks saying good stuff about them. There is also a place in Georgetown called Bar 3 Ranch. From what I understand they do all of their own meat processing and could possibly offer what you are looking for. Best of luck and don't give up!! :emoji_wink: It took years for me to locate a source for beef bellies but was well worth the time and wait.

Robert
Thank you much, sir - I will surely check them out!

[Edit] Taylor Meat Company only carries select - awaiting email reply from Bar 3 Ranch.

Last edited:
You are right, there are surprisingly few butchers in the Austin area. There is a new butcher shop on 620 (opened in the past month or so) called Austin Meat Market, I am pretty certain they have beef clod. I would give them a call. The guy told me all of their beef is sourced out of Bertram. The one time I bought from them I was happy with the price and quality.
1673539292184.png

Reactions: indaswamp
You are right, there are surprisingly few butchers in the Austin area. There is a new butcher shop on 620 (opened in the past month or so) called Austin Meat Market, I am pretty certain they have beef clod. I would give them a call. The guy told me all of their beef is sourced out of Bertram. The one time I bought from them I was happy with the price and quality.
View attachment 654267
Thank you, sir - I will give them a call!

I have had it at Lockhart Smokehouse in Dallas a few times. It's leaner than brisket and they cut it thinner. There's a lot less surface to meat ratio. I like it but I can't say I prefer it to brisket. The clod might be broken down into other cuts these days, or turned into ground meat. Kreuz does cook hot and fast. That's probably why their briskets are way less consistent vs. modern day craft style briskets.
Interestingly enough much like a brisket one end is leaner and cooks / slices like a flat. The other end makes beautiful pulled and chopped beef like a point.
16DD1B81-2174-4BE1-BB7F-E6BB05513068.png
640465EB-35D0-48D3-8D8C-3CB5460698A3.png

It looks like the clod is where they are getting flat iron steaks and shoulder tenders(or "mock tender") which are getting to be more trendy cuts these days as people look for cheaper steak alternatives. They can probably make more money off those and cutting the shoulder clod heart into various smaller roasts. This might explain why shoulder clods are harder to find. A boutique hipster-y type butcher is going to cut it down for certain.

If I see clod I order it mainly just because of the tradition and older school nature of it. People were barbecuing them before briskets.

View attachment 654267
AJ, the owner, was the most cordial and accommodating person I have spoken to, in the last 25-years. I believe I am going to go buy something from him based on that fact alone.

AJ, the owner, was the most cordial and accommodating person I have spoken to, in the last 25-years. I believe I am going to go buy something from him based on that fact alone.
I had the same experience with him. Genuinely nice guy who really wants to make his customers happy. I bought a picanha from him and the meat quality was great. I'll definitely return at some point, love supporting the local businesses.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky