Cinco De Mayo Chicken Tacos w/ Corn and Black Bean Salsa

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

xray

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Mar 11, 2015
Northeast PA
If you know me, you know I like my tacos and make them quite often. Well, I didn't really need an over-commercialized holiday excuse to fire some up, but the wife insisted so I figured "what the heck?" and jazzed some up anyway. I ended up doing grilled boneless chicken thighs with a corn and black bean salsa and some jalapeno sauce (Taco truck sauce). My original intention was to serve them with an avocado crema, but when I went to the store last night, the avocados didn't appeal to me so I pulled an audible and picked up some nice jalapenos instead.

Corn and Black Bean Salsa

1 can of corn, rinsed
1 can of black beans, rinsed
1/2 of a red onion
1 red bell pepper
2 cloves of garlic
1 jalapeno, seeded and deveined
Juice of one lime
A large handful of cilantro
1 tsp cumin and salt and pepper to taste
1/2 packet of sazon seasoning
splash of EVOO and apple cider vinegar (didn't get much lime juice since they were small, so I used two capfuls of the ACV for acidity)

IMG_8722.jpg

Green Taco Truck Sauce

8 jalapenos seeded and deveined
4 cloves of garlic
1/4c. chopped cilantro
1 lime juiced
1 tsp. chicken bouillon (used Better Than Bouillon)
1/2 packet of sazon (the leftover from the salsa)
1/2 c. vegetable oil, divided
1/4 c. water
black pepper to taste

Fry jalapenos and garlic in half of the oil (1/4 cup) until the peppers start to blister and the garlic turns a light golden brown. Here's the start of the sauce.
IMG_8723.jpg

Let cool slightly and add to a blender with the remaining ingredients. Blend while drizzling the rest of the 1/4 of oil in to emulsify the sauce. The sauce was delicious and I couldn't stop eating it, it's not as bright vibrant green as it would normally be, but that's because of the sazon seasoning. If you want it hotter, don't clean out the jalapeno veins. I wanted to keep this mild for my wife, milk can be too spicy for her! :emoji_laughing: She actually didn't believe me that she was eating mostly jalapenos when I told her.
IMG_8724.jpg

2lbs of boneless chicken thighs were marinated in EVOO, lime juice, 2 packets of Goya sazon, cumin, black pepper and a pinch of salt. The chicken was cubed after it rested a few minutes from the grill.
IMG_8727.jpg

After everything is prepped, it's time to make the tacos. Grilled chicken, followed by the corn and bean salsa then topped with the taco truck sauce and queso fresco.
IMG_8729.jpg

And the final dish.
IMG_8730.jpg

Damn these were good, and there's enough leftover fixins' for another night's dinner. Normally, I'd be snacking on the rest of the salsa but I figured I'd post these up and occupy some of my time, while the salsa gets to live another day and make it onto tomorrow's tacos.

Thanks for looking,

Joe

My hats off to you. Looks awesome and I live your recipes. I’ll be saving this thread. Thanks for the details, all my kind of food.

Reactions: xray
They look really good! And thank you for the recipes, definitely need to make them. I'm sure if my wife hears jalapeño she'll instantly think it's too spicy. And just because the thought entered my brain...does your taco holder come with a warning label? Do not eat the metal shiny thing! :emoji_blush:

Ryan

• Haha
Nice work Joe . I know that's a meal that hits the spot .
How long does the sauce keep ?

That there is flavor town, Ray. Nicely done. I eat like that as often as is practical. Nice work.

Thank you for the kind words Edge! I do a lot of tacos and bowls so I tend to eat like this often too. Something grilled and something fresh seems to always make itself inside a tortilla or in a bowl topped with rice.

That looks great! Thanks for the recipes

Thank you cvan, and hopefully you enjoy any of the ones posted.

Thanks for the post Joe. Those tacos look great.

Point for sure
Chris

My hats off to you. Looks awesome and I live your recipes. I’ll be saving this thread. Thanks for the details, all my kind of food.

Thank you Steve, hopefully you like the recipes and get something from it. I like detailing posts as much as I can because it makes a great reference when you’re wanting to make them again.

They look really good! And thank you for the recipes, definitely need to make them. I'm sure if my wife hears jalapeño she'll instantly think it's too spicy. And just because the thought entered my brain...does your taco holder come with a warning label? Do not eat the metal shiny thing! :emoji_blush:

Ryan

Thank you Ryan, the sauce definitely isn’t spicy if you clean the jalapeños out beforehand. If my wife could handle them, anyone could. She’s on the low end of the spiciness litmus test.

Lol, and no warning label on the taco holders! But they’re great for soft tortillas. If you’re interested, I use this plastic one for hard shell tacos…with a little lime juice and salt we could probably eat the thing, less lost teeth with plastic.
3418F59E-BCEE-4044-888C-F7837D31802F.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: Brokenhandle
fantastic buddy ty for sharing

Thank you very much.

looks great and sounds tasty. And I like soft shell tacos myself.

But you chicken looks fantastic, it would have a herd time for all of it to make it to Taco time

David

Thank you David! My wife said she didn’t feel like fish or seafood, so I opted with chicken. We recently had beef and pulled pork, so I rotate to keep things interesting.

I go back and forth between hard shells and tortillas. I eat a lot more corn tortillas than anything and a majority of the time I’ll make homemade ones with a tortilla press that chopsaw chopsaw sent me awhile back…I use the hell out of that press!

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Wow! Those look good!

LIKE!

Thank you for the kind words Yank! We really enjoyed them and there’s enough stuff to have them again tonight, they’ll be much easier to make so I’ll have a few beers to occupy my time.

Nice work Joe . I know that's a meal that hits the spot .
How long does the sauce keep ?

Thank you Rich, and the green sauce will keep for about 5 days but this will last maybe 3 days max at my house. If I’m making something fresh, I have all intentions of consuming it quickly.

I don’t see why it wouldn’t freeze well either, I never done it but I could imagine it turning brown over time.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky