chucky chili

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

recoush

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 26, 2017
Illinois
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/chucky-chili.279333/
after reading this thread and following it. :>) thanks for the feedback

using his suggested SLPOG idea added chili powder and french roasted coffee 1TBSP each
make my own rubs and chili seasoning

Little back detail My daughter recently graduated from the Fire academy train as a firefighter she was already working at a fire dept as an EMT having already passed her paramedic training a few years ago and is Now a firefighter /EMT working on TDay asked her if her crew would like some firehouse chili she said yeah they can gobble it up :>)

so here we are using ground beef as the base, pinto beans (beans yes) not Texas style or hot dog style) tomato, green chilies and my hot picked peppers will grind it down added to the beef and onion of course and decided to add some substance . Went to the butcher and got 5 lbs of boneless chuck roast had him slice it into about 5 1 inch slabs Rubbed on the SLPOG and the added seasonings. using apple and cherry about 60/40 maybe a little hickory less then 10% in there too as my soaker bucket may have had some left in it

trussed it all up with butcher twine and on the smoker @225 (18" vault) Finally got on the smoker late tonight already at 123@ and rising so not too much longer before i wrap it up.

hopefully i can rest it and be in bed by midnight plan a is to slice into lengths and add to the Chili and beef and seasoning on Wednesday as i always s think day old cold tastes even better the next day for (Thursday)

sorry forgot to take photos of the Trussed chunky. will take some photos once i remove to wrap and again after the wrapping Smelled awesome with the rubbed seasoning. No brine, no broth just dry rubbed.
Crossing fingers pictures nest when i can :>)
Recoush

here are some before wrapping photos :>) chuck1.jpg chuck2.jpg chuck3.jpg chuck4.jpg chuck5.jpg

was having issues with the tying Rofl, their is a system tie up and that's unfortunately not it :>) had some issues wrapping and the temp dropped.
learning the hard-way with this one at midnight i might stick it in the oven on low at200? would that work?

yeah same stuff i think the butcher paper and twine are form amazon like the almost next day delivery :>) just realized butcher paper in a gas oven not a good idea guess i can crank up the heat put it in then turn off and maybe it will coast? dang had it over 165 and now is at 155 arrg

I finally figured out how to tie a roast like the butchers. Watched a couple youtube vids. Pull string from roll, do not cut. Tie first loop at front of roast, make a counterclockwise loop, and loosely pull loop past first tied loop about 2 inches and pull tail end of string to tighten. (Sounds more complicated than it is). Continue making loops and pulling tag end until you reach end of roast and finally cut and tie twine.

Turned out Phenomenal total worth doing this way and the rub not overpowered by the rub at all the coffee made it very mellow.

Think breakfast with chuck and eggs is well deserved.

Pulled out of smoker in its wrap at 160 (horrible temp drop at wrapping) and finished in a 350 degree oven still in the wrap placed in a hot roasting pan tightly fit (likely a good thing) then waited at 350 until 172 degrees and turned oven off to coast.

Went to bed (midnight) based on the photos got to 190 it cooled in the over to below 150 when got up at 04dark am was just above 110 put into the frig and at 6am well the photos show a good looking Chuck started at 1630cst pulled out of smoker @2315cst oven @350 to 172 then oven off and costing the next 4 hours
11 hours maybe 10.5 hum that drop really killed the time, but phenomenal tasty Photos next
recoush

really get the mellow flavor of the meat tender with a little tang an some bite from chili powder made some with over easy eggs nothing else was required just add eggs to the warmed chuck dang almost hate to make this into Chili (promised the firefighters will enjoy)
my version of the seasoning blend for this was based on the SLPOG mentioned above (man you nailed that blend concept down, thanks for sharing the concept)
2 TBSP Salt
1 TBSP Ground Black Pepper corns
1 TBSP Lemon Pepper
1 TBSP Onion Powder toasted
1 -1/2 TBSP Roasted Garlic Powder
1 TBSP Roasted French Coffee (used eight oclock if curious)
1 TBSP My Chili Powder seasoning recipe

this made plenty for both sides of the 5 cut pieces (5 lbs)

OK now on to Smoked turkey breast has come out of the brine onto the smoker with some apple wood and here we go again :>)

when i bought my 18inch Vault was wondering was this the best chocie yes it was still wish i had spent the more got the 24" but has worked great even get a rack of ribs into
yeah Smoking time
Recoush

Reactions: disco
really get the mellow flavor of the meat tender with a little tang an some bite from chili powder made some with over easy eggs nothing else was required just add eggs to the warmed chuck dang almost hate to make this into Chili (promised the firefighters will enjoy)
my version of the seasoning blend for this was based on the SLPOG mentioned above (man you nailed that blend concept down, thanks for sharing the concept)
2 TBSP Salt
1 TBSP Ground Black Pepper corns
1 TBSP Lemon Pepper
1 TBSP Onion Powder toasted
1 -1/2 TBSP Roasted Garlic Powder
1 TBSP Roasted French Coffee (used eight oclock if curious)
1 TBSP My Chili Powder seasoning recipe

this made plenty for both sides of the 5 cut pieces (5 lbs)

OK now on to Smoked turkey breast has come out of the brine onto the smoker with some apple wood and here we go again :>)

when i bought my 18inch Vault was wondering was this the best chocie yes it was still wish i had spent the more got the 24" but has worked great even get a rack of ribs into
yeah Smoking time
Recoush
Looks like a success to me!

made two kinds of chili mild and Hot the redder one both with chunks of Chucky Really good have t take over and drop off very soon made about 3 gallons of each the mild has more broth so easy to tell apart

Firefighters loved it and they are also enjoying the leftovers I also made some cookies and brought those with of course they started with dessert 1st said they loved The spicy chili but do mix well if you wanted a milder hot

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky