Simple Chili Dogs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Chris_in_SoCal

Master of the Pit
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Feb 18, 2012
SCV - So Cal
Just some Chili Dogs.

Costco all beef hot dogs

Home made chili sauce.

2023_chili_dog_001.jpg

2.25 Lb 70/30 burger
1 large white onion
64 Oz tomato sauce
6 oz tomato paste
4 tablespoons chili powder
4 tablespoons smoked paprika
2 tablespoons dried oregano
2 tablespoons dried basil
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon garlic powder
2 1/2 teaspoons salt

Cook the burger in a large pot with about 24 oz tomato sauce and 2 tps of salt mixing constantly until browned.

In a pan place medium diced onion with 1/4 cup of water and 1/2 teaspoon of salt cook until transparent.

drain the burgers completely to get rid of all liquids. Place back in the pot on low heat with the onions including the liquids. This is different from the burgers.

Add about 12 Oz of tomato sauce, the tomato paste, chili powder, paprika, oregano, basil, onion powder and garlic powder and simmer.

Enjoy the toppings your way. Everyone has their favorite.

2023_chili_dog_002.jpg

Last edited:
Really hard to beat a good chili cheese dog. I am an addict, make the dogs, chili, bread pickles and pickled onions from scratch and wow just incredible! Yes there is a dog in there just an incredibly delicious mess! When they are made right like yours, its as good as anything you could eat.

Attachments

• IMG_5443.jpeg
    IMG_5443.jpeg
    143.8 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_5445.jpeg
    IMG_5445.jpeg
    110.4 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Those look great!

The crazy thing I was in the market today at the deli and I was looking at the Saugies (a RI made dog) and I passed up on them.Now I wish I hadn't.

Reactions: Chris_in_SoCal
Looks great Chris. I mentioned above. It's tough to beat a good chili dog.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: Chris_in_SoCal
I am a chilidog connoisseur. Those sure look good. I use a much leaner meat to make a finer texture. Usually, ground Sirloin. Some use ground round.
Have you watched the PBS show, "A Hotdog Program"? I have eaten at the Varsity, Nuway, and Andersons.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky