Chicago style barbecue

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Big Grouch

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 11, 2021
Everyone knows Chicago style hot dogs and pizza are the best in the world, this fact cannot be disputed, (he said. sarcastically) But Chicago barbecue seems under appreciated. The Chicago Tribune food reporter once noted if there isn't an aquarium smoker, a big greasy stack billowing smoke,and the food isn't served through a bullet proof lazy susan it isn't real Chicago barbecue. It consists of rib tips and hot links, served on one slice Wonder bread and drenched in a vinegar sauce. I live a long ways west of the 'hood, but I hope to do my best to duplicate this. I've sourced Moo And Oink pork hot links and my local butcher is saving me some tips. I'm not buying an aquarium smoker though. I'll report back with reviews from my neighbors.

Attachments

• Lem's_Bar-B-Q,_Chicago.jpg
    Lem's_Bar-B-Q,_Chicago.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 40
Make any progress? Would love to hear about it.
I wouldn't call it progress, exactly. Malcom Reed shows how to trim spares, so I have vacuum packs of rib tips in the freezer. I spent years trying to perfect a technique of cooking sausages so the casings don't burst, but hot links get charred so the casings do burst. I tried several vinegar sauce recipes, Rodney Scott's was close, but Sweet Baby Rays with a little white vinegar and red pepper flakes was what I liked best. My blended, extended family, many of whom are decent pitmasters and all love barbecue, didn't like tips and links. Oh well, I have a bunch of tips in the freezer that I make for myself when the smoker is is going. But I had fun trying.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky