Chefs cut pork loin

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Tbonesteaka

Original poster
May 2, 2024
Hello. New to the forum, first time here. I am a novice smoker/rotisserie/bbq cook. I’ve done bbqed some amazing meals…and some not so amazing. Anyway…

I recently started buying these “Chef cut” pork loins. They are delicious and also very affordable. I have successfully cooked one in the oven and also dried one out a little bit trying to slow cook it (I thought it would eventually pull apart, it was tender but a little dry and flaky).

I am thinking about trying the next one either on the rotisserie or smoked. I’d love to hear anything anyone has to say about this cut. Recommendations for cooking method, whether bbq or oven roasted.

Here's one for you. It never fails.

I am thinking about trying the next one either on the rotisserie or smoked. I’d love to hear anything anyone has to say about this cut. Recommendations for cooking method, whether bbq or oven roasted.
Temperature is the key to cooking any type of pork loin. I smoke at 250*ish and take the loin off at the smoker at 138*. Cover it, place it on the counter and let the carryover take it to 145*.

Brining, injecting and rubs are all a personal choice, but none of them will make an overcooked loin taste good.

Chris

Like the others have said, with loin internal temperature is absolutely key. cook one to IT of around 145* and see what you think. 150-ish Will work as well but beyond that it will be dry.

“Chef cut” pork loins.
Comes from the rib end of the loin . That's the section I always say has the light and dark meat in it . I also see it labeled as " sirloin " . These days you can't trust the in store label though . Need to know what you're looking at .
Does what you're buying still have the rib bones attached ?

When I buy whole boneless loins I always cut that section out to cook whole . Internal temp is the same , but the darker meat and extra fat makes it perfect for roasting . Gives you a little room on the temp also .

Great cut to cook at 250 or higher and pull NLT meat temp 140F to cruise to 145F max. I pull like Chris around 138F. 145F is the safe serving temp for solid muscle pork per USDA. Follow that and it's great juicy slices. I personally would never try to shred loin, just not the right cut.

Comes from the rib end of the loin . That's the section I always say has the light and dark meat in it . I also see it labeled as " sirloin " . These days you can't trust the in store label though . Need to know what you're looking at .
Does what you're buying still have the rib bones attached ?

When I buy whole boneless loins I always cut that section out to cook whole . Internal temp is the same , but the darker meat and extra fat makes it perfect for roasting . Gives you a little room on the temp also .

No this is a boneless cut. But yes it is the cut thar appears to be part dark and part white meat. And that dark meat is damn good.

Reactions: chopsaw
No this is a boneless cut.
I think if it has the bones still attached it's considered " Prime Chef's cut " But I'm not sure about that .
yes it is the cut thar appears to be part dark and part white meat. And that dark meat is damn good.
Yup . The light and dark section cut from the whole loin is considered Chef's cut . You're right , the dark part makes it .
I have several in the freezer . Might be time to thaw one out .
Did this section on the pellet grill . Had some good smoke on it .
Center to the small end of the whole thing . The more you get towards the small end , the darker it gets .
20221230_143124.jpg
20221230_153359.jpg
Tie and spin the bigger end over charcoal and apple wood .
20220525_132140.jpg
You can see it's all the lighter meat . Still nice and juicy if cooked right .
I'm guessing this was injected .
20220525_133322.jpg
This is cured and smoked , you can see the sliced section has a large
ring of the darker meat around the outside . The slices came from the last third
of the loin at the smaller end . So if you buy whole pork loins , that's where
you look for " Chef's cut "
20181022_091309.jpg

OK , at the risk of beating this to death , here's one more . This is the smoked section above , before prepping . You can see the line of the change in meat texture . The right side is the tail end of the whole loin .
20221228_095426.jpg

I personally would never try to shred loin, just not the right cut.
A few years back we had a family get together . My sister told my kids she was doing pulled pork . I didn't say anything . I knew she used loin in the crock pot no less .
That look on their faces when they took the first bite was priceless .
My Daughter whispered to me " What is this ? " Lol .

Last edited:
A few years back we had a family get together . My sister told my kids she was doing pulled pork . I didn't say anything . I knew she used loin in the crock pot no less .
That look on their faces when they took the first bite was priceless .
My Daughter whispered to me " What is this ? " Lol .
I have a friend who does the same thing. I've tried to help him, but he says butts have too much fat...

• Haha
Reactions: chopsaw
I have a friend who does the same thing.
She asked me one time if I liked the pork . I said no . Lol . The whole table got quiet .
Hey , if you don't want the answer , don't ask the question .

I have done them in the instant pot for shredded taco meat . That gets finished in a skillet with seasoning and some liquid added back . It works pretty good for that .

Last edited:
Haha…loving this forum already. Thanks for the great responses. I’ve decided to put my next loin on the spinner. I’ve got some peach wood from a tree I just cut down in the yard (if this is a bad idea, someone stop me immediately) that will give it a little smoke while on the rotisserie. Sounds like 250 is the temperature that most of you like. I’ll pull at 138 and if I remember, snap some photos. Thanks again guys!

Hello. New to the forum, first time here. I am a novice smoker/rotisserie/bbq cook. I’ve done bbqed some amazing meals…and some not so amazing. Anyway…

I recently started buying these “Chef cut” pork loins. They are delicious and also very affordable. I have successfully cooked one in the oven and also dried one out a little bit trying to slow cook it (I thought it would eventually pull apart, it was tender but a little dry and flaky).

Be sure and do it to internal temp of 140-145. It will be juicy and so tender. Don’t go by time, internal temp all day everyday!

Wow. This was phenomenal. Cooked it a little slower than I would have liked. The grill was no higher than 250 at any point and it took quite a while, but it was worth the wait. Pulled it a little early but I don’t mind my pork a little pink. Was just under 140 when I sliced it. It was basically like eating a pork prime rib. The dark meat was melt in your mouth tender. I will be doing these regularly on the rotisserie. For the price you can’t beat it.

Attachments

• IMG_1095.jpeg
    IMG_1095.jpeg
    186.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1096.jpeg
    IMG_1096.jpeg
    206 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1098.jpeg
    IMG_1098.jpeg
    144.4 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: schlotz
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky