Cedar Smokehosue

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

GrandNagus7

Original poster
May 17, 2020
The Smokehouse is finally done! Untreated Pine structure with Western Red Cedar built all around it.

I still have a bit to do but on the weekend I managed to get it on my brick foundation with help from a mate. I still need to add some trim, check for leaks and cracks once I season it and fix a door to the opening in the brick. Loaded with 2 stainless steel racks, dowles to hang meat from and a temp gauge. It is ready to smoke.

I have a question for those more experienced ones out there!

- For those who have built theres out of Western Red Cedar, do you cover it at all to protect from the rain and elements? I know the durability is fantastic with cedar but I know it does suck up a lot of water and can take a while to dry. I have heard of people putting some waterproof sealant on it but not sure if that's suitable?

Not bad for a first build, and I am no way a professional wood worker.

Attachments

• Photo 20-6-20, 16 47 30.jpg
    Photo 20-6-20, 16 47 30.jpg
    302.5 KB · Views: 150
Reactions: kruizer and mike243
I don't think sealing the outside will affect the food inside, not sure how the boards are butted together so applying it with a roller instead of spraying might be a better option . , looks sharp, how are you going to heat it

I don't think sealing the outside will affect the food inside, not sure how the boards are butted together so applying it with a roller instead of spraying might be a better option . , looks sharp, how are you going to heat it

Is there a recommended sealer people use on here and if it’s safe to use?

I used tongue and groove cedar boards. There are a lot of mistakes on it but expected for a first go. I am hoping to make a few more down the line for others so will get better and better at making them.

I have a mini camp stove which I did test with last weekend that came out really good. I am just waiting on a part for it then I’ll be feeding a tube from that stove into the bottom of the smokehouse. Have some Redgum I’ll burn try and once I get a few cooks I’ll get onto hickory, apple an

Here is a few more photos. Seasoned it yesterday and today as well as checking for leaks, temps, etc.

Despite it being pretty cold here I am unable to get the temp higher. I was thinking of buying another temp gauge and placing it near the bottom so I can get a reading down there as well as above. What do you think is the best way to get more heat? It should be able to double as a cold and hot smoker I think?

1) Create a bigger opening for the pipe to allow more heat to travel through or maybe making it shorter?
2) Build a dedicated fire pit with a 100mm opening for a larger diametre pipe
3) Place a stainless steel sheet inside where the wooden frame is, punch a hole in it and start a fire underneath within the brick base? Can I line the sheet with some insulation so it doesn't get too hot?

Attachments

• Photo 28-6-20, 13 37 09.jpg
    Photo 28-6-20, 13 37 09.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 124
  • Photo 28-6-20, 13 37 30.jpg
    Photo 28-6-20, 13 37 30.jpg
    320.5 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky