Cleaning Exterior of Cedar Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Millar72

Original poster
Jun 20, 2020
Hey gang - my COVID project a few years ago was to build a cedar smoker. I incorporated a lot of what I learned through these threads and am very happy with the results. I live in Washington where it is wet for most of the winter/spring. In the past year I've had quite a bit of black/grey mold spores form on the exterior of the smoker (all sides). I have tried vinegar and also hydrogen peroxide with limited success. Considering this is all on the exterior, is there a huge concern if I were to consider stepping up to more of a chemical cleaner (like the 30-second cleaners with bleach) to get down to the spore roots? I don't anticipate any cleaner getting inside the smoker but wanted to see if the wisdom of the group here would steer me away from the idea. Thanks.

IMG_2395.jpg

I have no experience in that area, but I'm sure others do.

Welcome to the group from New Mexico.

Vinegar penetrates into the wood whereas bleach does not.
Use straight vinegar spray on the wood to kill the crud.
Once a drier summer comes around that also kills the mold growth. Continue the vinegar treatment then use a log wood preservative. It will not get in the interior of your smoker

as Posted previously, vinegar will kill off the mold. Maybe sealing the exterior would be beneficial

Thanks for the follow ups - I had given it a decent linseed oil rubdown each year and assumed that would seal it up well enough. I'll get aggressive with some more vinegar and then look to seal it up with an alternate product - maybe hit it with a sander beforehand. If I'm understanding you correctly, it sounds like applying an external non-food grade sealing product shouldn't be of any concern to the meat I'm smoking on the inside. I was real careful with all the materials I used in this build so I thought I'd pick a few brains here before making a regrettable decision that might compromise the smoker. Thanks for your feedback!

Looks to me that the area might not get a lot of sun ? Maybe some tree trimming would help for future problems .

Thanks for the follow ups - I had given it a decent linseed oil rubdown each year and assumed that would seal it up well enough. I'll get aggressive with some more vinegar and then look to seal it up with an alternate product - maybe hit it with a sander beforehand. If I'm understanding you correctly, it sounds like applying an external non-food grade sealing product shouldn't be of any concern to the meat I'm smoking on the inside. I was real careful with all the materials I used in this build so I thought I'd pick a few brains here before making a regrettable decision that might compromise the smoker. Thanks for your feedback!
A lot of people feel comfortable making smoke houses from plywood.
I know planking salmon on cedar is popular in the PNW. Never tried it as I do not like salmon. Used to live there.
Many people treat their log homes with linseed oil, paraffin or a combination of same.
All can be food safe or toxic.
The general accepted practice is anything on the exterior of a smokehouse does not migrate inside.

I would suggest getting a jug of Jomax and follow the instructions on it. This will eliminate mold/mildew growth and prevent new growth for a time. Once done sealing the outside is a good idea as suggested above but I'd stay away from linseed oil and use something that provides a physical barrier against the elements like a spar urethane.

Attachments

• IMG_0423.JPEG
    IMG_0423.JPEG
    192.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0424.JPEG
    IMG_0424.JPEG
    179.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4282.JPG
    IMG_4282.JPG
    139.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4371.JPG
    IMG_4371.JPG
    130.7 KB · Views: 17
I would suggest getting a jug of Jomax and follow the instructions on it. This will eliminate mold/mildew growth and prevent new growth for a time. Once done sealing the outside is a good idea as suggested above but I'd stay away from linseed oil and use something that provides a physical barrier against the elements like a spar urethane.
IMG_2619.JPEG

Thanks, I'll give that a shot. Good to hear there is no concern around sealing the exterior. FYI - here's a closer look at what I'm trying to solve for.

Do you have a power washer? Would remove some of the bigger stuff and leave less for you to treat.

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky