raised beds - learn from my experience

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

netspyder

Meat Mopper
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 18, 2022
Collinsville, IL
sooooooo. some years ago i built some raised beds out of cedar - 2x8 double layer 3'x6' area. they're great. heavy, and a pain to move. $200 apiece to build. here they are this year refilled with ... well ... fertilizer.
PXL_20240324_230934164.jpg

this year i wanted to add 3 more raised beds - to triple my cucumber production and add a row that'd get full sun. found Vevor branded steel raised beds 4'x8'x24" for $100 each at HD on sale. so i picked up 3 of those, but i wanted them to line up with the existing, so i decided to make 4 beds 4'x6'x24" and reached out to Vevor for the bits that i was missing. their reply was "we don't sell the parts separately". also, in the FAQ on their website one of the questions was regarding exactly what i was doing and their response was "we don't recommend constructing raised beds longer than 8' because they tend to get wonky". actual wording on the response. well... they were not wrong. it looks a little pregnant.
PXL_20240405_215039074.jpg
PXL_20240405_215049256.jpg

the 6' beds also pooched a little bit around the middle, but i think they'll do ok.

PXL_20240405_215029175.jpg

also these 24" deep beds hold a lot more dirt. almost 2 yards per 4'x6'x24" bed.

in hindsight, i should've just built some more beds out of cedar - i think they would've looked much nicer in the yard than the steel ones.

We had 2 at this house when we moved it (4'x8x12").
I added two more out of 12" wide redwood so I didn't need to go 2 high with 2x6's.

Top rail or cap and they wouldn't do that . The structural span on that stuff is 3 foot .
All the strength is in the profile , and the edge needs to be supported .

Reactions: indaswamp
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky