Casing life

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokyMose

Smoking Guru
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 13, 2015
Indianapolis, Indiana
Hi, folks.
I probably stuff 40 to 50 lbs a year. I've been getting my natural casings from Syracuse Casing (pre-tubed) and I really like them, but they only sell quantities for 120 to 130 lbs now. I got a "quantity" a couple of years ago, and although they've been salted well and refrigerated I get nervous when I bring out a tube to stuff. No problems at all yet, no blow-outs and they stretch well, but they talk about them being good for 6 months....?? Am I on borrowed time? Is there a health issue?
Are the casings from SausageMaker pretty good?
Just curious because I need to order more pretty soon.

Dan

I believe your fine, they’re salted & in fridge. That’s how I store mine also, I’ve been having good luck getting my 32mm-35mm hanks from Lem products.

Reactions: JC in GB
Are the casings from SausageMaker pretty good?
That's what I use , and I like them . I store them wet , like the boykjo thread on how to treat natural casings .
Stored correctly , they should last a long time . I've had some over 2 years old , but I use them up pretty fast these days .
By the way ,,, good to see you .

I have used the SausageMaker casings only a couple of times and they were fine. I added more salt to the ones I didn't use and back into the fridge for next time. One thing I did read was to use NON-iodine salt when adding for long term storage.

SM, I have some that are a few years old in the fridge(packed in salt after each use)and they are fine.

I have some that are 6 or 7 years old from TheSausageMaker. If you keep them salted & refrigerated they will last a long time. Check out this thread!
Al

Last edited:
Reactions: daveomak
Thanks, folks! I'll rest easier now.
I only use non-iodized salt, Howling. I read that somewhere, too :-)
I didn't think anyone noticed I haven't been around for a while, chopsaw. I'm finally retired now, so you'll probably see me knocking around here a bit...

Reactions: crazymoon
I have some that are 6 or 7 years old from TheSausageMaker. If you keep them salted & refrigerated they will last a long time. Check out this thread!
Ditto on what SmoniAl said. I still have some beef middles and rounds from TSM I bought three years ago... Keep them well covered with salt in my fridge. Used them recently for Krakowska without any single issue....

Syracuse Casings offers cups in various diameters . Each cup will do 20-25 pounds. Sold in quanities of three each. A bit more expensive may be another option.

Quote from their casing instruction page:
" Any leftover casing you do not use can be stored back in its container for up to 6 months. To store after you have soaked the casing, place the casing in a strainer and generously salt the casing (table salt will do). Allow the casing to drain off access water for at least 1 hour then place back in the container and refrigerate until needed. DO NOT FREEZE CASINGS."

Last edited:
From Waltons inc.
How Long Can I Store Natural Sausage Casings?

Storage on our natural casings sits at about a year, but since it is not a manufactured product that time may vary a little. Keep them stored at 40 degrees or lower and do not freeze the casings which could damage the casings. If you open a package and do not use it all, try to return the extra casings back into the original package and brine solution, but if you do not have either, bag the extra casings, add extra salt, and seal it. If you absolutely have to freeze the casings for longer storage, you may, but it may weaken the casing and make them more prone to breakage or “blow-outs” during stuffing.

Different opinions from two sources.

Syracuse Casings offers cups in various diameters . Each cup will do 20-25 pounds. Sold in quanities of three each. A bit more expensive may but another option.

Quote from their casing instruction page:
" Any leftover casing you do not use can be stored back in its container for up to 6 months. To store after you have soaked the casing, place the casing in a strainer and generously salt the casing (table salt will do). Allow the casing to drain off access water for at least 1 hour then place back in the container and refrigerate until needed. DO NOT FREEZE CASINGS."

Yeah, that's what I was planning to do, rjob. It's only $4 more and the cups are a lot easier to store.
(When I first started buying from Syracuse you could buy just one..)

Never had any issues with TSM casings or Syracuse. Like said here if you keep em salted and sealed they will last for years.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky