Canned lunch meat

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

daveomak

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 12, 2010
Omak,Washington,U.S.A.
While at the market this morning, (looking for a brisket packer), I saw canned lunch meat.

Wow! I have seen others smoke that stuff.

Realizing I had some mixed up spices from the strami, 2 cans were sliced, spiced and smoked.

Darn it looks good. It is goin in the refer till tomorrow to rest.

DO ALL OF YOU SEE WHAT YOU HAVE DONE TO ME!!!!!!

In the words of Gomer Pyle,"Shame, shame, shame".

And in my words, "Thanks, thanks thanks so much".

40f1b677_CANNEDLUNCHMEAT.jpg

I know that is going to be good.
sausage.gif

Any smoke ring when you cut it open. Looks great.............

Go-o-o-o-olly, Sgt Carter!

There are a number of canned meats like that, and I think Spam is the best one.

I gotta try that some time.

I know Cowgirl smokes Spam & a number of other smokers with good taste too!

So far I have only fried it, and I love it---But Hey!---It's mostly meat, isn't it!?!?

Bear

I like to smoke two at a time. One with a cross cut on top with chipotle/adobo dropped in & one covered in brown sugar. They're pretty good. Spam has a bacon flavored one now. You can also try TREET.

Looks like there is a small smoke ring. It was in the smoker for 6 hrs. I took it to I.T. 155*. 

It is the Generic variety. Ingredients list is short. Pork, salt, water, sugar, sod.nitrite.

Bride said, "it was the best she had ever tasted". I don't know if she was being kind or what because she HATES canned lunch meat??? She just took seconds!!!
icon_exclaim.gif
 She is being too kind.

It is not "bad" plain, like a snack.  The only way I could eat it before was to fry it.

It is much better than "out of the can".

My intention was to try a new style of Hors D'Oeuvres. (I looked that up on google)

It has very good possibilities. Smoked longer, higher temp and spicier will be my next attempt.

The finished product.

6cbf5c1c_SLICEDLUNCHMEAT.jpg

Hmmm, Looks great!

I'm wondering how much nitrites are in these things, in other words, I'm wondering how "low & slow" we could do things like Spam.

Anybody know?  

As low & slow as we want?

Bear

Last edited:
Hmmm, Looks great!

I'm wondering how much nitrites are in these things, in other words, I'm wondering how "low & slow" we could do things like Spam.

Anybody know?  

As low & slow as we want?

Bear
Because the stuff is cooked when it is canned, I think you have to treat it as cooked and reheating meat. My guess ???? is get to 160* within 4 hrs.

Does that sound right ???

Looks great. Glad there was some left for a cut open qveiw..... Nice color

Because the stuff is cooked when it is canned, I think you have to treat it as cooked and reheating meat. My guess ???? is get to 160* within 4 hrs.

Does that sound right ???

Actually I would think if it was cooked when it was canned (don't know what temp it was cooked to), I would think we could take longer than 4 hours to get to 140˚, and then keep going to 160˚, especially since it was even somewhat cured (don't know how well), but I'm not sure about this.

Now I'm getting a headache.

Bear

There is nothing better in this world (food wise) than a good Spam sandwich.  Not a week goes by where I don't eat one (or at least daydream about one).  I even make them for my brother because Spam isn't allowed in his house.  As soon as I saw the thread title I though "I hope they smoked Spam becaus that sounds amazing".  I may have to give it a shot. 

To cook my Spam I do it differently than most.  I slice it them season it with pepper then sugar.  The caramelized sugar gives an amazing texture and flavor.  Top it with cheese (melt it) and put it in bread with a slice of raw yellow onion.  Oh man you are in Heaven!!!!!

I have never eaten spam. I know it is probably really good, I could just never get past the way it slimmed out of the can. If I keep seeing all these spam threads I guess I'll have to give it a try. Yours does look good!

There is nothing better in this world (food wise) than a good Spam sandwich.  Not a week goes by where I don't eat one (or at least daydream about one).  I even make them for my brother because Spam isn't allowed in his house.  As soon as I saw the thread title I though "I hope they smoked Spam becaus that sounds amazing".  I may have to give it a shot. 

To cook my Spam I do it differently than most.  I slice it them season it with pepper then sugar.  The caramelized sugar gives an amazing texture and flavor.  Top it with cheese (melt it) and put it in bread with a slice of raw yellow onion.  Oh man you are in Heaven!!!!!
Must be a lot of us Pennsylvanians love Spam!!!

Heck even Philadelphia Phillies Shane Victorino (Hawaiian) is famous for loving Spam!

LOL---I loved Spam before Shane was born!

Bear

Must be a lot of us Pennsylvanians love Spam!!!

Heck even Philadelphia Phillies Shane Victorino (Hawaiian) is famous for loving Spam!

LOL---I loved Spam before Shane was born!

Bear
On those food shows, in Hawaii you can buy Spam burgers at burger joints. Go figure.

I eat spam once a year during an annual fishing trip with my buddy at Salt Fork State Park in East central Ohio.  Fried in bacon grease, topped with grilled onions and mustard, placed on a toasted hoggie bun.  Darn good.  On a tight budget one year and bought some Treet, big mistake.  Wore out the sneakers back and forth to the restroom.  I will give smoked spam a try........looks pretty good.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky