Canned Brandied Figs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cruiser rod

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 18, 2013
South Jersey
Hi Guys, I just noticed this section on canning and I though I might have something to contribute. I had an unbelievable harvest this year with all the rain here. I probably picked almost a thousand figs off of one tree. Along with the Brandied figs I made Fig preserves and de-hydrated the balance. So here it is, my Brandied Fig  Recipe.

7e4ce84b_photo.jpg

Ingredients:

8 cups figs – halved or quartered (see note)

1 2/3 cups brandy

1 1/3 cups sugar

3/4 cup water

1 Vanilla bean

a very little sprinkle of cinnamon powder

In a large pot combine brandy, sugar, vanilla bean (cut into 5 pieces), cinnamon and water to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until sugar dissolves.

Fill jars with figs and add brandy solution to jars, to 1/2″ headspace. Place one piece of the cut vanilla bean in each jar.

Process in hot water bath 15 minutes starting the timer when the water returns to a boil. Turn off heat and let jars rest in pot a few minutes

Remove from water bath and allow to cool completely before storing.

NOTE: 

2 cups of figs = about 1 tightly packed pint

It takes about 10 figs to fill 1 pint

The brine for this recipe will fill 5 pints

Thanks for the compliments! Yesterday was the first day they were ready, they had to sit for a month. I'll probably try them this weekend, any suggestions what they might go good with?

Thanks for the compliments! Yesterday was the first day they were ready, they had to sit for a month. I'll probably try them this weekend, any suggestions what they might go good with?
Sponge cake desert cup, a nice big rounded scoop of blue bell vanilla bean ice cream, heat the figs and juice in a sauce pan and pour a little over each scoop, and a couple a figs on the side.

Those look nice! I have never tried a brandied fig but I suggest a couple on a plate with some nice cheese and a glass of port after a meal.

Disco

Disco

Thats pretty much what I was thinking.  We already had a VERY light snowfall here.  I'm guessing Fig trees don't do real well around here

Gary
No, they are a warmer climate tree that would die with the cold in Canada. Years ago here in NJ I would wrap my tree with burlap then tar paper and tie off with rope to protect it from the cold. Thanks to global warming I haven't had to do that for the past 4-5 years.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky