• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Canned Brandied Figs

cruiser rod

Smoke Blower
Joined Jul 18, 2013
Hi Guys, I just noticed this section on canning and I though I might have something to contribute. I had an unbelievable harvest this year with all the rain here. I probably picked almost a thousand figs off of one tree. Along with the Brandied figs I made Fig preserves and de-hydrated the balance. So here it is, my Brandied Fig  Recipe.

Ingredients:

8 cups figs – halved or quartered (see note)

1 2/3 cups brandy

1 1/3 cups sugar

3/4 cup water

1 Vanilla bean

a very little sprinkle of cinnamon powder

In a large pot combine brandy, sugar, vanilla bean (cut into 5 pieces), cinnamon and water to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until sugar dissolves.

Fill jars with figs and add brandy solution to jars, to 1/2″ headspace. Place one piece of the cut vanilla bean in each jar.

Process in hot water bath 15 minutes starting the timer when the water returns to a boil. Turn off heat and let jars rest in pot a few minutes

Remove from water bath and allow to cool completely before storing.

NOTE: 

2 cups of figs = about 1 tightly packed pint

It takes about 10 figs to fill 1 pint

The brine for this recipe will fill 5 pints

kathrynn

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Jun 13, 2012
That looks soooo yummy! I love figs and didn't get any this year.

Kat

cruiser rod

Smoke Blower
Joined Jul 18, 2013
Thanks for the compliments! Yesterday was the first day they were ready, they had to sit for a month. I'll probably try them this weekend, any suggestions what they might go good with?

foamheart

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Apr 4, 2013

Thanks for the compliments! Yesterday was the first day they were ready, they had to sit for a month. I'll probably try them this weekend, any suggestions what they might go good with?
Sponge cake desert cup, a nice big rounded scoop of blue bell vanilla bean ice cream, heat the figs and juice in a sauce pan and pour a little over each scoop, and a couple a figs on the side.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 31, 2012
Those look nice! I have never tried a brandied fig but I suggest a couple on a plate with some nice cheese and a glass of port after a meal.

Disco

GaryHibbert

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 20, 2013

MEEEEEEEE

Gary

Last edited:

GaryHibbert

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 20, 2013
Disco

Thats pretty much what I was thinking.  We already had a VERY light snowfall here.  I'm guessing Fig trees don't do real well around here

Gary

cruiser rod

Smoke Blower
Joined Jul 18, 2013

Disco

Thats pretty much what I was thinking.  We already had a VERY light snowfall here.  I'm guessing Fig trees don't do real well around here

Gary
No, they are a warmer climate tree that would die with the cold in Canada. Years ago here in NJ I would wrap my tree with burlap then tar paper and tie off with rope to protect it from the cold. Thanks to global warming I haven't had to do that for the past 4-5 years.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.