Canned Brandied Figs

Discussion in 'Canning' started by cruiser rod, Oct 15, 2013.

1. cruiser rod

cruiser rod Smoke Blower

Hi Guys, I just noticed this section on canning and I though I might have something to contribute. I had an unbelievable harvest this year with all the rain here. I probably picked almost a thousand figs off of one tree. Along with the Brandied figs I made Fig preserves and de-hydrated the balance. So here it is, my Brandied Fig  Recipe.

[​IMG]

Ingredients:

8 cups figs – halved or quartered (see note)

1 2/3 cups brandy

1 1/3 cups sugar

3/4 cup water

1 Vanilla bean

a very little sprinkle of cinnamon powder

In a large pot combine brandy, sugar, vanilla bean (cut into 5 pieces), cinnamon and water to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until sugar dissolves.

Fill jars with figs and add brandy solution to jars, to 1/2″ headspace. Place one piece of the cut vanilla bean in each jar.

Process in hot water bath 15 minutes starting the timer when the water returns to a boil. Turn off heat and let jars rest in pot a few minutes

Remove from water bath and allow to cool completely before storing.

NOTE: 

2 cups of figs = about 1 tightly packed pint

It takes about 10 figs to fill 1 pint

The brine for this recipe will fill 5 pints

2. cruiser rod

cruiser rod Smoke Blower

Sorry, that's 10 cups of figs instead of 8.

3. kathrynn

kathrynn Smoking Guru OTBS Member

4. daveomak

daveomak Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

There we are...... Nice figs......   Dave

5. Oh yum I love figs!

6. foamheart

foamheart Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Sure is a pretty amber color.

7. kathrynn

kathrynn Smoking Guru OTBS Member

That looks soooo yummy! I love figs and didn't get any this year.

Kat

8. cruiser rod

cruiser rod Smoke Blower

Thanks for the compliments! Yesterday was the first day they were ready, they had to sit for a month. I'll probably try them this weekend, any suggestions what they might go good with?

9. foamheart

foamheart Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Sponge cake desert cup, a nice big rounded scoop of blue bell vanilla bean ice cream, heat the figs and juice in a sauce pan and pour a little over each scoop, and a couple a figs on the side.

10. disco

disco Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Those look nice! I have never tried a brandied fig but I suggest a couple on a plate with some nice cheese and a glass of port after a meal.

Disco

11. cruiser rod

cruiser rod Smoke Blower

WOW! Now that sounds really good, Thanks!

12. disco

disco Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Har, thank you for posting the idea. Now all I need to do is find figs in the Rocky Mountains of Canada!

Disco

13. shoneyboy

shoneyboy Master of the Pit OTBS Member

[​IMG]  Looks great .......

14. GaryHibbert

GaryHibbert Smoking Guru OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Thanks for the compliments! Yesterday was the first day they were ready, they had to sit for a month. I'll probably try them this weekend, any suggestions what they might go good with?

MEEEEEEEE

Gary

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  15. GaryHibbert

GaryHibbert Smoking Guru OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Disco

Thats pretty much what I was thinking.  We already had a VERY light snowfall here.  I'm guessing Fig trees don't do real well around here

Gary

16. cruiser rod

cruiser rod Smoke Blower

No, they are a warmer climate tree that would die with the cold in Canada. Years ago here in NJ I would wrap my tree with burlap then tar paper and tie off with rope to protect it from the cold. Thanks to global warming I haven't had to do that for the past 4-5 years.