Camping & Butts for the 4th - How much?

Discussion in 'Pork' started by gordo, Jul 2, 2008.

1. I am going camping with a group of friends over the long weekend, and have been designated camp cook.

The big smoke will be Saturday, when I do a couple of butts, Dutch's beans, and cheesy potatoes. I can't remember the formula for how much I need to feed a group.

The group will consist of 12 adults (including a couple of big eaters) and 6 kids. At the moment I have 2 butts that are 7-8 lbs each. Will that be enough?

2. pineywoods

pineywoods Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead SMF Premier Member

Well what I've heard is 1/4 lb per sandwich but with that said if people are making their own it will be higher. I believe my son in law can manage close to 1/2 lb on a bun [​IMG] . I think I would figure 1/3 lb and times that by the number you think each will eat since you know them and their eating habits. Figure almost 50% loss from raw weight to cooked and pulled. Good luck on your smoke and have a great weekend.

3. ronp

ronp Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Hmm, 14 - 16 pounds should yield you 7 -8 pounds of finished product. At three people per pound, that should give you about 21 - 24 samies. And that is a pretty good samie. Also depends on the buns used if pulled. Also don't forget to add some sauce, that will add to the sammie's weight.

I think you will be fine.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Hope this helps.
    Ron

4. daddio

daddio Meat Mopper

that should be enough,only thing is when you get into folks just munching on the great q ...then go back for a little more then back for a little more!!! lol

5. capt dan

capt dan Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I agree with Dadio. Should be enough for the initial dinner/lunch/cookout, but for the after meal snacks, might need a couple fatties for later around the campfire!.

6. Thanks for the advice. I think I will roll up a couple of fatties just to make sure that everyone eats more than they should. [​IMG]