A Tale of 2 Butts

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Smoking Audi

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 19, 2021
We decided to smoke some butts this weekend despite the overnight temps in the 30s. Got the Traeger blanket installed and fired up the 34. Love the blanket in how it helps hold temps and minimize pellet burn.

Mixture of oak, apple, and a touch of mesquite for pellets. Put the butts on about 7:15 PM and now it’s 2:45 AM. Started out at 225 for about 90 minutes then dropped it to 180 for the night. About to go to bed and the butts are in the low 140s right now. Will check again when I get up around 7 then figure out when to wrap.

We LOVE the overnight smoke anymore. Fill the hopper and set it to 180 and almost forget about it.

We are running an experiment with this smoke to see which we like more. Rubbed 1 with olive oil and the other with mustard to see which binding agent we like better.

Home made rub:
IMG_1331.jpeg
Rubbed and ready to smoke
IMG_1334.jpeg

About 5.5 hours in
IMG_1339.jpeg

6:15 AM and they are at 152 and 157 F. Turned up the temp to 225 and will check again in about an hour

Reactions: JLeonard
Not sure on dinner time, depends on when the butts are ready. 162 about 30 minutes ago, they are now wrapped and back on the Traeger
IMG_1341.jpeg

I'm in for the finish. FYI: Might as well crank up the smoker since they are wrapped. The butts won't care, they will easily get done quicker, and have great flavor. Makes diner timing easier when they get done and are just resting.

Should be pretty close to temp. Wife is minding the smoker as I am out to the vet with our sick cat.

We tasted the bark when we wrapped and could not tell the difference between the olive oil or mustard binder. Both were damn yummy

The bone for both practically fell out when we unwrapped them.

This was about our 3rd overnight smoke now and I am not sure we will ever do it differently for low and slow smokes. Ribs will still be a daytime though.

Reactions: schlotz
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky