Camp Chef thermo winter Blanket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Jersey Jimbo

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Oct 26, 2020
At the Shore
I know my installed magnets got weak real fast once you turn up the temp. I found these cobalt high temp magnets online. cheap investment I cut a small slit in cover where magnets were slid them out and replaced them, I used high temp tape to close up the slits. I have to say it was well worth the time to do. I ran my grill at 500 degrees to make sure it worked. And now I no longer have to pull the cover into place every time I open up the lid. Hope this will help someone out there, it works you will be very happy. Just wish the factories would install them in the first place.

I like to smoke on my Windwood all year long and a thermal cover, if it works, is probably a good idea. I wonder why the magnetic properties of the original magnets got weak as the temp increased.
Seems that now a days we the consumers are expected to be a manufacturer's quality control department!

I like to smoke on my Windwood all year long and a thermal cover, if it works, is probably a good idea. I wonder why the magnetic properties of the original magnets got weak as the temp increased.
Seems that now a days we the consumers are expected to be a manufacturer's quality control department!

You do realize that heat and shock are both common adversaries to magnetized metals, right? I mean, it's like saying that they expect us to get water all the way to 212 degrees just to get it to boil.

Camp Chef is aware of the magnets loosing their strength. I found these high temp cobolt magnets on ebay. And i have had them in the blanket for a few months without no loss of strength. Just wonder why CC does not install them from the start, but I guess part of cost factor. To me it was well worth the upgrade, $5 for 4

Odd, my magnets snap on tight,never had any problems with weakening, my cover is about 4 years old. Maybe they cheaped out on later ones.

Corey

Camp Chef is aware of the magnets loosing their strength. I found these high temp cobolt magnets on ebay. And i have had them in the blanket for a few months without no loss of strength. Just wonder why CC does not install them from the start, but I guess part of cost factor. To me it was well worth the upgrade, $5 for 4
$5 is nothing; you would think CC would correct that problem.

It's a trade-off. While magnetized cobalt will withstand higher temperatures it's also not as strong. So you may or may not experience issues in high-wind situations. I wouldn't trust magnets for anything critical when it comes to contacting a smoker drum as the heat can create issues. They also tend to resist corrosion better but that wouldn't be as much of an issue when they are encased. They also tend to be more brittle and can fracture/break much easier which is also magnified in colder temperatures which is when people tend to use insulation blankets. Cost differences are drastic although the cobalt market is a little more volatile given the applications it's associated with are in higher demand but other than that... it may not purely be a cost decision as evidenced by the differences mentioned previously. Until I fully understand the engineering aspects of a decision I tend to give companies the benefit of the doubt. It's likely they don't see their decision as a "problem" so much as the best choice based on options available and pros/cons that are unavoidable.

Reactions: Humo18
It's a trade-off. While magnetized cobalt will withstand higher temperatures it's also not as strong. So you may or may not experience issues in high-wind situations. I wouldn't trust magnets for anything critical when it comes to contacting a smoker drum as the heat can create issues. They also tend to resist corrosion better but that wouldn't be as much of an issue when they are encased. They also tend to be more brittle and can fracture/break much easier which is also magnified in colder temperatures which is when people tend to use insulation blankets. Cost differences are drastic although the cobalt market is a little more volatile given the applications it's associated with are in higher demand but other than that... it may not purely be a cost decision as evidenced by the differences mentioned previously. Until I fully understand the engineering aspects of a decision I tend to give companies the benefit of the doubt. It's likely they don't see their decision as a "problem" so much as the best choice based on options available and pros/cons that are unavoidable.
Reading thru this thread I'm amazed at all the thoughtful posts and how willing everyone is to share their knowledge. That's why this is the BEST smoking meat forum.

It was crazy when I contacted CC about this issue of the magnets losing their strength they said its normal when smoker is run at high temps above 450. I figured if they knew of this issue it would of been corrected, but it is not. So that's the only reason I replaced them and knowing cobalt magnets do withstand higher temps, I went with them. For a few bucks it was worth it to me and don't have to worry about the blanket not being in place when I close the lid. But it is only something we can to worry about in the colder weather.

A couple of questions popped up in my mind as I read through this post for the first time today. And Jersey Jimbo, I am in no way belittling your concerns. I have the Woodwind SG and bought the winter cover at the time of grill purchase. I've used it for 2 winters so far. No problems what so ever thus far.

The first question I thought of was to wonder how many pellet grill owners actually use their pellet pooper as a primary, high temp grill. The only thing I'm cooking outdoors in below 40*F temps is some kind of smoked meat cook. And I have yet to find one of those that requires temperatures above 350*F. All the recipes I use for smoking meats are for 250*F and below.

For the high temp cooking of meats (not smoking), I have to wonder how many would chose to use a pellet pooper instead of a regular gas or charcoal grill. Most pellet grills will certainly attain 450*F or above temps, but there isn't really any advantage at those temps over a normal gas/charcoal grill in my mind. But you may have a different view (opinion) of the subject.

I'm not an expert on marketing. But I would think that CC designed and marketed their pellet poopers primarily as meat smoking devises, with an added ability to high temp cook if needed in a pinch. And this is just a WAG, but I would also think that the majority of pellet pooper owners never use them for anything other than smoking meats.

But I'm always open to learning new things and we thank you for the magnet upgrade information for those members on this forum that do use their pellet machines at or above 450*F. I'm not one of them, but your information may help those that are. Have a great Memorial Day weekend. :emoji_sunglasses:

A couple of questions popped up in my mind as I read through this post for the first time today. And Jersey Jimbo, I am in no way belittling your concerns. I have the Woodwind SG and bought the winter cover at the time of grill purchase. I've used it for 2 winters so far. No problems what so ever thus far.

The first question I thought of was to wonder how many pellet grill owners actually use their pellet pooper as a primary, high temp grill. The only thing I'm cooking outdoors in below 40*F temps is some kind of smoked meat cook. And I have yet to find one of those that requires temperatures above 350*F. All the recipes I use for smoking meats are for 250*F and below.

For the high temp cooking of meats (not smoking), I have to wonder how many would chose to use a pellet pooper instead of a regular gas or charcoal grill. Most pellet grills will certainly attain 450*F or above temps, but there isn't really any advantage at those temps over a normal gas/charcoal grill in my mind. But you may have a different view (opinion) of the subject.

I'm not an expert on marketing. But I would think that CC designed and marketed their pellet poopers primarily as meat smoking devises, with an added ability to high temp cook if needed in a pinch. And this is just a WAG, but I would also think that the majority of pellet pooper owners never use them for anything other than smoking meats.

But I'm always open to learning new things and we thank you for the magnet upgrade information for those members on this forum that do use their pellet machines at or above 450*F. I'm not one of them, but your information may help those that are. Have a great Memorial Day weekend. :emoji_sunglasses:
, I for one can share my experience: I use my Windwood WiFi with sidekick all year long; it's the only grill I own and use it to both grill meats at high temps and also to low and slow cook. I have no idea what the majority of pellet smoker owners user their pellet grills for.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky