Calling all Smoke Hollow owners!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

I purchased a 44" back in August of 2013 and I love the capacity. I replaced the factory water pan with a large steam tray to catch alll the drippings. The stock pan just wasn't big enough. I'm having problems with the burners, though. Full tank of propane but the burners act as if they are not getting enough fuel. Anyone ever have the burner just go out for no reason? The first time it happened, I forgot to vent the cabinet before hitting the switch. Uh uh, no arm hair, singed the brows a bit. Rookie mistake.
I just saw this. The thing that causes this is a safety mechanism in the gas valve hookup. If you turn on the propane too quickly, meaning opening the tank up too quick you will activate it and it closes it up. You can hear it when it happens depending on your hearing. Just close for a few seconds and reopen slower. 

I just saw this. The thing that causes this is a safety mechanism in the gas valve hookup. If you turn on the propane too quickly, meaning opening the tank up too quick you will activate it and it closes it up. You can hear it when it happens depending on your hearing. Just close for a few seconds and reopen slower.
Yep yep.   Also tends to happen if the gas valves on the smoker are open when you open up the valve on the propane tank.  If closing and reopening slower doesn't work,  you can shut all the valves off, remove the regulator from the propane tank, then hook it back up, turn on the propane and then open the burner valve.   Learned this with one of my gas grills.  Dang thing used to drive me nuts.  :-)

Last edited:
Hi I've got the electric smoke hollow and I've had great luck controlling the temp with it. No probs so far and I've had it 2+ years now. I added the Big Daddy 8 in. smoker to it to extend the smoke and for cold smoking. I've only tried cheese cold smoking so far and have had great results with it. I've done 2 deer and a half hog as brats and polish sausage as well as everything you can think of to smoke without a hitch. For the money I have in it it's one the best items I've ever bought.

[h3]  I have had the 41170B (41.5” x 20” x 17.5) for two years now and love it. Like anything, you just have to get used to it. I find the temp inside is hotter than it says on the factory thermometer. I use oven thermometers inside and it's about 25+ degrees warmer. I've used lots of smokers (electric, barrel, bullet, you name it) and this holds it's own. Plenty of cooking area, good smoke, stable temps. Can't ask for anything more. [/h3][h3]  [/h3][h3]I also have the Model 47180T (4 in 1) as my daily driver. Gas,Charcoal,sear burner & offset fire box. As a smoker it's average (it leaks like a sieve without modifications) but I can say without question it's the best grill I've ever owned. It's so flexible it can cook just about anything I can throw at it. [/h3]

Okay I've been smoking a couple times on this now and wanted to share some issues. Pork butts both times. So last time I lined foil in the bottom of my 44" to cover the big holes and reduce cleanup. I also partially covered the top exhaust pipe about half. I did this to hold in more heat and smoke. Did a great job and reduces the amount of gas that burns up win win. I loaded it up with butts 8 total and I have the remote thermometer and luv it. I used the right chip tray for chips and the left one for the heat. To start the left was on medium and the chip was on super low between off and high when it barely comes out. As the hours pass the temp goes from medium to halfway between med an low. The butt that is closest to the heat always cooks quicker and was at 190 by the 10hr mark while the others were about 165. It took another 4hrs to get the rest to temp. The butts were amazing and the smoke ring was gorgeous. My question is should I rotate the racks during cooking like a 4-6hr? I used 3 racks during this cook. I am smoking brisket this weekend prob 4-6 on separate racks and plan to rotate. I am a food service director at a community college so that's who I'm cooking for and Sundays we have a Brunch and the townsfolk come out so I'm planning on a great turn out.

I also got my tube in so obviously if I use this I can put both burners to low and that will make the heat even but I will have to still rotate to even the cooking right?

Also do you guys pull the briskets after 6hrs and wrap in foil then finish them? I have seen people do this and some don't was just curious.

I plan on rubbing and smoking with mesquite or hickory.

Hi John, what I did was replace the water pan provided with the largest tin foil pan you can find. It fits exactly the same size as the bottom or the smoker. It can hold up to 2 gallons of water when filled. I also added a nomex gasket to the door and smoke chamber door. I runs both burners between low and medium and maintain 250 deg steady. My smoker cooks even on both sides but hotter the lower you go on the racks. As your water evaporates the temps will rise but with 2 gallons it will last a good 5 to 6 hours.

I have only done a couple of briskets so for and both times they had stalled at 160 degrees, so I wrapped them... I don't time my cooks rather monitor temperature. After wrapping keep a close eye on it, the temp comes up fast 

Hi John,  What I have done with my 44 incher that works for me is I put 1" Roxul on the 2 sides, back, and top and added the nomex gasket to both doors.  No matter how windy  it is I can maintain a steady temp.  I run one burner on low and can maintain 230 degrees no problem.  I use the stock water pan and use the largest foil pan on the bottom rack for catching the drippings.  I'm thinking of adding a needle valve so I can use both burners and maintain a lower temp.

John

Here is my exhaust mod for my Smoke Hollow...I keep it under a porch and this works great to feed the smoke out from under. I also nodded the fire box and water pan location.

FYI- for those that have temp issues (running too hot) you can turn the dial between the high and off position and get a really low flame....I routinely run lump coal and wood in my enlarged fire box set up and as the coals get going I will turn the flame way down and sometimes just one burner..as the coals die out toward the end of a smoke I can turn the dials up if I need more temp..... My exhaust set up I believe also helps keep heat in and more stable.

My wife bought this one for me for Christmas three years ago, Deluxe Vertical LP Gas Smoker Model 41170B.

I will also say the temp gauge if way off and trying to get the temp down is a big problem unless you keep the door open.

Ok I'm posting because I have the same problem as Johnmully where he cooked his meat for hours and never could get the meat to reach a internal temp of 160,  I have the same issue, now I know the temp guage on the front is not accurate,  however I had a 4lb butt in the smoker for 7 hrs and it would never reach the internal temp of 160,  about 140 is all it would reach.  My temp gauge was on 250,  I know it may not be accurate, but could it be off that much.  the meat appeared to look like a piece of uncooked ham.  It looked a little dry and red on the outside but no char at all.  I haven't smoked much at all and that is why I have the Smoke Hollow SM44 propane smoker, because of the budget.  However, before I seasoned the unit I did by the High Temp Gasket to go around the both doors.   I suppose I need to put a temp gauge on the rack with it so I can see why the temp is at the meat.  Any suggestions.

Ok I'm posting because I have the same problem as Johnmully where he cooked his meat for hours and never could get the meat to reach a internal temp of 160,  I have the same issue, now I know the temp guage on the front is not accurate,  however I had a 4lb butt in the smoker for 7 hrs and it would never reach the internal temp of 160,  about 140 is all it would reach.  My temp gauge was on 250,  I know it may not be accurate, but could it be off that much.  the meat appeared to look like a piece of uncooked ham.  It looked a little dry and red on the outside but no char at all.  I haven't smoked much at all and that is why I have the Smoke Hollow SM44 propane smoker, because of the budget.  However, before I seasoned the unit I did by the High Temp Gasket to go around the both doors.   I suppose I need to put a temp gauge on the rack with it so I can see why the temp is at the meat.  Any suggestions.

Buy a Maverik 732 or 733 then you can monitor your grate temp as well as your meat temp. up to 200 feet away from your smoker. The Smoke Hollow that I had, the factory therm was of by 50 deg. and it is in a poor location just sticking an inch or so into the cabinet.

Buck1974- You can take your stock temp gauge out and boil some water(boils @ 212*) and hold in there to see just how far off it is and add or subtract degrees needed. I went to www.rivercountry101.com and bought a gauge w/ 3" face that you can calibrate and put that in the door. It has a longer stem and runs about $18. I also have the Maverick

ET73 but the water thing will get you by until you get your new Maverick. If you're having a hard time keeping your temp down, light your burner on HIGH then turn back towards OFF to get a pilot like flame if desired. If the opposite is the case, I bought a welding blanket @ Harbor Freight  that I use to wrap my "44 or ECB to keep the temps UP.

aland 

Last edited:
Buck1974- You can take your stock temp gauge out and boil some water(boils @ 212*) and hold in there to see just how far off it is and add or subtract degrees needed. I went to www.rivercountry101.com and bought a gauge w/ 3" face that you can calibrate and put that in the door. It has a longer stem and runs about $18. I also have the Maverick

ET73 but the water thing will get you by until you get your new Maverick. If you're having a hard time keeping your temp down, light your burner on HIGH then turn back towards OFF to get a pilot like flame if desired. If the opposite is the case, I bought a welding blanket @ Harbor Freight  that I use to wrap my "44 or ECB to keep the temps UP.

aland 

aland,
You are right on with the boil test!! The only thing is with a cheap analog temp gauge, it may be 5 deg low or high at any given temp say 212 deg. and be 15 deg low or high at 250 deg. they are known for not being linier. That was the case with the factory gauge {the cheapest available} in my Smoke Hollow as well as my MES. The more expensive after market gauges are alot better. Tell-Tru are probably the best!

I've had the smaller SH propane rig for about 6 years.  Like everyone says, they have their quirks.  As for temperature, I just stick a metal oven thermometer in there to keep tabs and run a wireless probe in the meat.  I have a feel for where the gas should be set and it seems to work for me.

It doesn't get too cold here, I just deal with it and have had no real problems, though I may try a welders blanket as soon as I get to HF.

The chip pan is a bit of cr@p, so I just went to Goodwill and found a small vintage cat iron one.  Cast iron fans might think it was a waste of a nice pan, but it works well and we've been through many seasons.  The rig as well has held up, despite the naysaying they tend to get.  For the 78 bucks my wife paid, it is a bargain.  Of course, due to work schedules and moving, this will be our first smoke of the year, so there is always the chance things will go awry.  If that's the case, I'll just go pick up the next size up and be happy.

I just got the SH 44inch. It was easy to assemble, I just followed the instructions in the booklet. But there's a piece left after the assembly, a small thin chain. I have no idea what it's for. Do you guys run your thermometer wire through the chimney?

Last edited:

I just got the SH 44inch. It was easy to assemble, I just followed the instructions in the booklet. But there's a piece left after the assembly, a small thin chain. I have no idea what it's for. Do you guys run your thermometer wire through the chimney?
The small chain should also have a S-Hook thing attached to it as well it is to hang your gas line to your propane if it isn't attached to the tank. There's a small hole in the leg that it hooks to. Yes you should run your thermometer wire through the chimney. Just make sure to run it before you start the heat too. Lol I made that mistake once.

I bought 2 silicone grommets and drilled 2 holes and inserted them.  Now I can thread both probes through into the cook chamber.  This keeps the wires much cleaner.

John

I agree with not bashing the manufactures and especially individuals working for these companies. After spending a couple of weeks reading reviews of just about every make of electric smoker I'm left with the opinion that they all have those people that love them and those that hate them. If all a person can afford to spend is a couple hundred dollars then the Smoke Hollow is probably the best choice. A pretty basic unit with no fancy computer controls to fail at the worst time possible.  Just bought mine today after lots of research and talking with a person that's owned one for 4 years with no issues. Will let ya know what I think of it once the piles of snow melt here in Michigan and I get a chance to use it.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky