Calling all Smoke Hollow owners!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thanks Train, I'm glad you agree
sausage.gif

I bought my SM PS4400 a couple of weeks ago and love it. Out of the box I had a slight problem with the flame, but their customer service dept sent me two new burners and it works great. Have to agree about the temp gauge, bit I always use a digital inside anyway. Very easy to maintain temp, and I had the temp down to 175 without an issue. As a hint for those who didn't know, if you want to keep a low temp put the dials between off and high. Read about that one one of these forums. Attached a couple of pics of some of my latest smokes.

I've had the 34" propane (Model 34168G) for about 6 months now. The only issue I have with it is that my chips aren't burning down to ash. They burn down to lump charcoal and quit smoking. Not even TBS, just heat. As soon as I dump the pan into the outdoor fireplace the pile starts smoking up a storm and burns down to a nice neat little pile of ash. So I know I am working with an air-flow problem. Anybody run into this and have a clever mod to take care of it?

Last edited:
Hey, how many Smoke Hollow owners are here? I've done some searches and haven't found a lot of threads/posts from SH owners. I have a SH #3 (30", Model # 30169G).

So far I like it, although I've only seasoned it. The construction quality seems solid, has nice space in it, etc.

If you are a SH owner let me know what you think. If you have done any specific mods to it, let me know as well.

Keep this thread alive and dedicated to Smoke Hollow!
biggrin.gif

Maybe one day we can even get our own fancy initials like the GOSM...
icon_cool.gif
I use pellets in try and  for longer smokes I purchased an A-maze-n tube.Next to the burner on a brick.

Hello,

My name is JD Harrington and I just purchased a Smoke Hollow PS4400 propane smoker.  I assembled the smoker over the weekend and went through the seasoning process and was disappointed about the amount of smoke that was coming out from around the doors.  The smoker has a stack on top which did not have any smoke coming out of it because of the amount of smoke around the doors.  I called customer service and was told that was normal and the smoker was intentionally designed that way to avoid combustion.    Has anyone tried installing a gasket seal around the door and would that make any difference?  Also the drip pan is very small and seems to be useless since it only covers a tiny slit in the bottom of the smoker but there are 3 large holes on the bottom also.

Thank You

Don't have a smoke hollow

Hello,

My name is JD Harrington and I just purchased a Smoke Hollow PS4400 propane smoker.  I assembled the smoker over the weekend and went through the seasoning process and was disappointed about the amount of smoke that was coming out from around the doors.  The smoker has a stack on top which did not have any smoke coming out of it because of the amount of smoke around the doors.  I called customer service and was told that was normal and the smoker was intentionally designed that way to avoid combustion.    Has anyone tried installing a gasket seal around the door and would that make any difference?  Also the drip pan is very small and seems to be useless since it only covers a tiny slit in the bottom of the smoker but there are 3 large holes on the bottom also.

Thank You
I don't have a smoke hollow  but you shouldn't have smoke leaking around the door, as far as combustion  if the smoker is functioning properly the smoke should flow freely through the stack not the door. I think either the person you talked too is an idiot or that are instructed to say that because they are have so many problems with that.

Look through the threads and post on smoke hollow modifications, This should be helpful and you can decide weather you want to make the mods, take it back or whatever.

Gary

Thanks Gary, I am still experimenting with the smoker and happy with the meat results but still undecided about what to do about the smoke escaping around the doors.

JD

Thanks UncleBubbas, I am going to check into getting some kind of door seal installed to see if it reduces the amount of smoke escaping from the doors.  The plywood base is a good idea.

JD

Okay, well I have a very old Electric Smoke Hollow smoker.   When I first got it, I was smoking ribs, turkey, whole chickens etc.  I was pretty happy with it for that process.  Then I discovered the world of home made sausage!   Made several types of sausage and snack sticks.  Some were great, some were okay.  But the end result was always the same, I just couldn't get the temp down to 140 - 160 for cold smoking.  The problems was too much heat too fast and no smoke. I considered buying the big behometh mastercraft smoker.  Going to cost me about $500 + .  Then I started watching you tube videos.   These guys were making smokers out of old refrigerators, water heaters, dryers etc.   They all had on common ground.   A Box, 2 Thermometers, Some holes, and a hot plate.  So.  I started thinking, and I visited the local wally world and looked at the smokers similar to mine.   I forgot to mention that my smoke hollow has a tiny little tube out the back for smoke release.  No damper, no holes in the bottom, etc.   Basically I operated it with the door cracked open, but a gust of wind would come along and the temp would shoot from 155-160 to 200/225.  Long story short, cut some holes in the top, cover with a metal plate which I fashioned to open all the way or just part way.   Drilled a couple holes in the bottom as well.  Removed the electrical parts and replaced with a 'nice' hot plate (about $20) and bought a A-maze-n Tube Smoker 6", and a handful of pellets and now I'm ready again.   I haven't smoked anything yet, but I have monitored the temps internally and I'm able to get 145 and keep it there!  Modification is not a bad thing.

I have the Smoke Hollow two door propane and someon (not of course) poked a hole in my water bowl.. does anyone know where to get another one?

I am not sure where to get a new one. I personally line my water pan with aluminum foil to help with clean up so that is what really holds the water. Just and idea.

I have a 30" smoke hollow gas smoker and it works fine so far....temp is typically about 250 or less, depending on the outside air temp.  In the winter up here, it'll be quite a bit less on low....I've only used it in the summer so far....

I have owned and used the 44241G2 (44") for about 2 years now and love it!  I had been using the 2 cooking grates and the 2 jerk grates for smoking anything from chickens, to turkeys, to pork butt, to ribs.  I found cleaning the jerky grates a bit more difficult than the cooking grates so I order more cooking grates.  Now I'll have 5 cooking grates and the capacity to smoke 15 racks of ribs!  On a side note, I've not used the rib grate after reading that it doesn't smoke/cook the ribs as well since a lot of the fat drips away before flavoring the meat, plus I think cleaning the thing would be fairly difficult.

I've done no modifications to the smoker but am interested to learn what others might have done.

One bit of strangeness about the smoker is that I suspect they redesigned the water pan after creating the owner's manual because the owner's manual shows a fairly large water pan that would directly slide into the side supports.  What I have a smaller pan that sits in a metal grate that slides into the side supports.  Has anyone questioned that?  Initially, I thought that I'd rather have the larger pan so it would catch all of the drippings and keep the wood boxes clean, but I suspect something like that would block the smoke from rising to the meat.  Anyone have any comments about that?

Happy smoking!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky