Cabela's 40" Black Smoker by Masterbuilt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
maybe I missed it but you have a walmart up there right? how much for a 20# bag of pellets there? I picked up a 20# bag of hickory pellets last night at one down here for $9.99.

Usually 20-23 for 20 pounds or 40-45 for a 40 bag. The 40 pound bag of pit boss competition blend is on for 30 right now, so that's an option, although I've never used that before.

has anybody tried putting an amnps with some legs under it on the drip trap at the bottom of these units? does it snuff out due to no air or how do they run? just got a gen 2.5 and there is a lot of real estate down there and was wondering if my pellet tray would burn clean down there ?

has anybody tried putting an amnps with some legs under it on the drip trap at the bottom of these units? does it snuff out due to no air or how do they run? just got a gen 2.5 and there is a lot of real estate down there and was wondering if my pellet tray would burn clean down there ?

Not enough air flow that low in the smoker.
I've found in my Gen #2.5 the best place is all the way on the right end of the bottom rack, just above the Chip dumper.

Bear

how much clearance do you then give it from sausage products above it and to the sides when its on that rack?

I never use the bottom rack for any smoking. IMO it's too close to the heating element & gives too much direct heat to any meat that would be on that bottom rack.
I would avoid putting any meat directly above the AMNPS on the next rack, but only worry about the very next rack up, and only the size of the AMNPS (5 X 8"). Any place else is fair game.

Bear

I never use the bottom rack for any smoking. IMO it's too close to the heating element & gives too much direct heat to any meat that would be on that bottom rack.
I would avoid putting any meat directly above the AMNPS on the next rack, but only worry about the very next rack up, and only the size of the AMNPS (5 X 8"). Any place else is fair game.

Bear

well I just got my 2.5 40 put together and burnt out last night... it is a beast compared to that gen 1 30 I was playing with for my last couple cooks. I appreciate all your candor and patience as you walked me through the process. Thank you. I cant wait to try it out, I am making some goose pastrami this weekend but I am not sure if I will use the 40 or throw them in the UDS.

well I just got my 2.5 40 put together and burnt out last night... it is a beast compared to that gen 1 30 I was playing with for my last couple cooks. I appreciate all your candor and patience as you walked me through the process. Thank you. I cant wait to try it out, I am making some goose pastrami this weekend but I am not sure if I will use the 40 or throw them in the UDS.

I can't help you there---I never used a UDS.
But I'm here, any time I can help. I'm easier to find with a PM (Conversations), because I'm good at missing great Posts on this new forum thing. My Best To You.

Bear

I can't help you there---I never used a UDS.
But I'm here, any time I can help. I'm easier to find with a PM (Conversations), because I'm good at missing great Posts on this new forum thing. My Best To You.

Bear

oh man, you got to try an UDS, I have built 4 and given 2 away. they arent for everything, but for stuff that is going to drip a lot of grease or otherwise make a mess of my MES, I have the UDS. The UDS can be run pretty steady and they are cheap to build, but I wanted the MES primarily for sausage to maintain really steady low temps.

Last edited:
oh man, you got to try an UDS, I have built 4 and given 2 away. they arent for everything, but for stuff that is going to drip a lot of grease or otherwise make a mess of my MES, I have the UDS. The UDS can be run pretty steady and they are cheap to build, but I wanted the MES primarily for sausage to maintain really steady low temps.

I wish!---My health barely permits me to use an MES, which is the easiest of the pack.

Bear

UDS is an "ugly drum smoker"? Haven't seen that UDS before so googled it lol

I was sceptical at first by the more I read the more I became interested...so I built 1, and then another, and then I wanted to do a big cook for my daughter's graduation so I built 2 more. They are really cheap to build, work awesome, and are easy on fuel. I would highly recommend one to anybody.

Last edited:
Reactions: Thundamonkey
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky