MES Overheating

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bobnrtp

Original poster
Jun 10, 2024
I have an older MES model 20070910 I can set the temp to 200 and start heating. When it gets to 200 the Red LED turns off, but it continues to heat going up maybe 40 more degrees. I put my controller on another smoker and it works fine. Used the other controller on my smoker and it still overheats. Sent Masterbuilt a email and received a reply quickly. Sorry out of warranty. Anybody have any ideas what I can do to fix this without using a PID?

Reactions: JLeonard
Was this over temp discovered by using a reputable remote thermometer ?

The MES's are well known to be off by that much (40` more o less) from their set temp... So people use a remote thermometer and set the controller according to it instead of the MES's theremometer... Set your temps 40` lower than what you actually want it at...

Reactions: JLeonard
Was this over temp discovered by using a reputable remote thermometer ?

The MES's are well known to be off by that much (40` more o less) from their set temp... So people use a remote thermometer and set the controller according to it instead of the MES's theremometer... Set your temps 40` lower than what you actually want it at...
Just tried again with 2 Taylor and a TermoPro remote thermometers/ All three were close 1 or 2 degrees from each other. The MES control panel read about 11 degrees cooler. Again the Red LED light went off at 200 as I had it set, but temps went up to 300 and kept climbing. So I shut it down.

Sounds like it might possibly be a control board issue. The guy to consult about this would be tallbm tallbm , he's the resident MES guru.
I pulled the cover off the control board and it looks like new. No hot spots or bulging components.
Sounds like it might possibly be a control board issue. The guy to consult about this would be tallbm tallbm , he's the resident MES guru.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky