Cabela's 40" Black Smoker by Masterbuilt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Those times you mention were on the downswing, 232/231 is the lowest it got during an hour+ long 225 run. So on its way down, it turns on at 224 (while still dropping) and bottoms out at 232/231 (MES 219) before its upswing begins. Total heat swing is 37/35 degrees on the 225 run. 33/33 degrees on the 205 run.

1838: MES coasts to 236, probes 269/266

1845: MES element turns on at 224, probes 236/235

1847: MES dropped to 219, probes 232/231

I will be using it regardless, but interesting how it cycles. Likely be a bit smoother when a chunk of thermal mass (food) is there mind you.

That's my thoughts , without a load on the unit ts kind of hard to say how it will react with a load on it. I was thinking that a foil pan with about a gallon of water would be a good comparison if different people wanted to get an idea on how their units would run. Also you have to factor drafting conditions as some guys may be getting a better draft and that can make the unit drop faster or heat slower at different intervals and confuse the logic in the controller. no?

That's my thoughts , without a load on the unit ts kind of hard to say how it will react with a load on it. I was thinking that a foil pan with about a gallon of water would be a good comparison if different people wanted to get an idea on how their units would run. Also you have to factor drafting conditions as some guys may be getting a better draft and that can make the unit drop faster or heat slower at different intervals and confuse the logic in the controller. no?
Yup. Especially at the beginning of the smoke with a cold chunk of meat and the proximity of it to the Mes sensor. The meat being above, next to or below the sensor. Until MB (all electric vertical smoker manufacturers) tethers the mes sensor like their meat probe sensor so it can go next to food on any rack, they are indirectly promoting sales of digital therms to the end user to get a more true temp. I'm not sure if it's all cost driven to fix the mes sensor because their meat probe is tethered. I'm looking forward to threading the six foot long sensor on my PID controller down the exhaust vent to the level my food is located.

Yup. Especially at the beginning of the smoke with a cold chunk of meat and the proximity of it to the Mes sensor. The meat being above, next to or below the sensor. Until MB (all electric vertical smoker manufacturers) tethers the mes sensor like their meat probe sensor so it can go next to food on any rack, they are indirectly promoting sales of digital therms to the end user to get a more true temp. I'm not sure if it's all cost driven to fix the mes sensor because their meat probe is tethered. I'm looking forward to threading the six foot long sensor on my PID controller down the exhaust vent to the level my food is located.

totally agree, and why not make those sensors easily replaceable? have a port that they plug into in the unit or a some other easy way to remove them for cleaning or easy change out if they happen to fail? I usually have a maverick sensor fail about once every 20-30 uses for one reason or the other, it would suck if they werent able to be easily replaced.

All good comments.
Bringing to mind that I tell people to put their Maverick Sensor (or other wireless) about 3" from the Meat.
This being close enough to tell you the Temp of that specific area of the smoker that the meat is in, yet far enough away from the cold meat to not cause a false Air Temp reading.

Bear

All good comments.
Bringing to mind that I tell people to put their Maverick Sensor (or other wireless) about 3" from the Meat.
This being close enough to tell you the Temp of that specific area of the smoker that the meat is in, yet far enough away from the cold meat to not cause a false Air Temp reading.

Bear

Good call, the 3-inch gap is quite important to get a more accurate reading. I love the method I saw where someone cut a potato in half and stuck the sensor through it and then sat the potato on the rack. Make positioning the sensor super easy

Good call, the 3-inch gap is quite important to get a more accurate reading. I love the method I saw where someone cut a potato in half and stuck the sensor through it and then sat the potato on the rack. Make positioning the sensor super easy

I just hang mine through the top vent hole, put the probe in position so the tip of the sensor is 3" below the Rack, and clip the cable with a wooden spring clothes pin, right at the Vent. Then I eat the Taters.:D

Bear

Reactions: jimmyinsd
Doing some cheese today since it's cold out and plan to do an actual cook on real food this weekend :)

As an aside, anyone ever use these for smoking? I know we are to avoid heating pellets due to potential softwoods and fillers, but these are stated to be pure hardwood and also safe for cooking with. I have written the company to confirm, as they are selling for 6 bucks per 40 pounds compared to my 45 per bag (which is still cheap for smoke/hour mind you). Cheers

http://canawick.com/en/produits.php?cat=Pellets&c=10

Doing some cheese today since it's cold out and plan to do an actual cook on real food this weekend :)

As an aside, anyone ever use these for smoking? I know we are to avoid heating pellets due to potential softwoods and fillers, but these are stated to be pure hardwood and also safe for cooking with. I have written the company to confirm, as they are selling for 6 bucks per 40 pounds compared to my 45 per bag (which is still cheap for smoke/hour mind you). Cheers

http://canawick.com/en/produits.php?cat=Pellets&c=10

Heating Pellets are Heating Pellets. The sawmill the sawdust comes from most likely does not separate sawdust from different species. Your pellets may contain any species of wood that goes thru their sawmill. If they only saw oak, then the pellets are most likely oak, but if they also saw elm or walnut, the pellets may contain elm or walnut.

Also, to save a few $$$ pellet producers use petroleum products to lubricate their equipment instead of vegetable based oil and grease.

$45/40# bag is very expensive!

Heating Pellets are Heating Pellets. The sawmill the sawdust comes from most likely does not separate sawdust from different species. Your pellets may contain any species of wood that goes thru their sawmill. If they only saw oak, then the pellets are most likely oak, but if they also saw elm or walnut, the pellets may contain elm or walnut.

Also, to save a few $$$ pellet producers use petroleum products to lubricate their equipment instead of vegetable based oil and grease.

$45/40# bag is very expensive!

I was thinking the same thing, although I am intrigued to see that they are posting on their site that they are approved for cooking use. Not something you'd publicize openly if not fairly safe.

As for 45 bucks, plus tax, for a 40 pound bag, that is the cheapest option for cooking pellets in Canada (at least based on what I can find and I have looked a fair bit). I can buy 20 pounds for 23-25 bucks and up if I go smaller. Hence my hopes of finding a cheaper alternative.

Below is what I am using right now due to cost and availability (also very well reviewed too).

www.amazon.ca/Cookinpellets-Perfect-Smoking-Pellets-40-Pounds/dp/B00819OICI

EDIT: Found a 40 pound bag of the "pit boss competition blend" for 40 bucks online at homedepot and costco.ca

Last edited:
I was thinking the same thing, although I am intrigued to see that they are posting on their site that they are approved for cooking use. Not something you'd publicize openly if not fairly safe.

As for 45 bucks, plus tax, for a 40 pound bag, that is the cheapest option for cooking pellets in Canada (at least based on what I can find and I have looked a fair bit). I can buy 20 pounds for 23-25 bucks and up if I go smaller. Hence my hopes of finding a cheaper alternative.

Below is what I am using right now due to cost and availability (also very well reviewed too).

www.amazon.ca/Cookinpellets-Perfect-Smoking-Pellets-40-Pounds/dp/B00819OICI

EDIT: Found a 40 pound bag of the "pit boss competition blend" for 40 bucks online at homedepot and costco.ca[/

Do you not have a Canadian Tire, Home Depot or Walmart close by?
Pellet Grill Fuel, like Pit Boss Pellets are typically $15-$20 per 40# bag

That's Todd, the owner of Amazen products, I would say give him a call tomorrow and talk with him. He might be able to save you money on pellets up there.
He and I have spoken and he is awesome.

Unfortunately, me being in Canada and the cost of shipping will likely nullify and potential savings.

My main goal would be to find validity in the cheap ones I linked (if there is any). I know of a few people who use them but that doesn't make it safe or right. Would be great if it works out though as they're nearly 90 percent cheaper lol

I don't see anything aside from my quoted post :(

Looks like Todd added below your quoted post:

Bear

Looks like Todd added below your quoted post:

Bear
Oops, my mistake, thanks for that. I didn't expand the quote section :)

I do have a canadian tire/home depot. All are 40 or more for Pit Boss 40 pound bags. It is canadian tire who are selling the 40 pound bags at 5.99 that prompted my question regarding the canawick product for smoking http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/hardwood-pellets-40-lb-0642776p.html#srp

I will write back once i hear back from canawick and get their current "ingredients" list. Doubt it'll pan out, but it would be nice if it does.

Well, I heard back from Canawick. See below for their answer when I asked about their product (which is labelled as hardwood, not a blend) being used for cooking.

Hi Richard,

Although not intended for cooking purposes, we are aware that some people use our wood pellets for cooking and smoking food. However please note we have not conducted any tests regarding food/cooking safety.

Our pellets are a mixed blend of hardwoods (75%) and softwoods (25%). Hardwoods are Maple, Birch and aspen. The softwoods are Spruce and Fir. No additives or fillers are added and all lubricant used in the machinery are food grade.

We trust this responds to your questions.

Thank you!

Well, I heard back from Canawick. See below for their answer when I asked about their product (which is labelled as hardwood, not a blend) being used for cooking.

Hi Richard,

Although not intended for cooking purposes, we are aware that some people use our wood pellets for cooking and smoking food. However please note we have not conducted any tests regarding food/cooking safety.

Our pellets are a mixed blend of hardwoods (75%) and softwoods (25%). Hardwoods are Maple, Birch and aspen. The softwoods are Spruce and Fir. No additives or fillers are added and all lubricant used in the machinery are food grade.

We trust this responds to your questions.

Thank you!

Hmmm, Definitely wouldn't want to use Spruce or Fir, unless I'm building something.
They probably shouldn't be listing it as Hardwood.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky