Cabela's 40" Black Smoker by Masterbuilt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
With all these different models and gens and variations out there, have you seen a 2.5 (for the heat distribution improvements) paired with an RF remote offered anywhere? Seems that Masterbuilt has no issues with doing different versions of their cookers for different distributors. I know Cabelas has the blue tooth, but in a unit with no window in the door. I havent seen the inside or the top to know how much more of the 2.5 features it is offering.
I have that model and it comes with 6 racks, an integrated wired temp probe, a sausage hook, and a cover. Having it come with the 2 extra racks is great and saved me a few bucks. I would have liked the RF remote given how far it's range it compared to the bluetooth (which I don't use as a result), but it isn't a deal breaker. I don't know of any internal differences beyond the other gen 2.5s out there.

Reactions: jimmyinsd
I was in Lowe's two day ago and that was the first time I saw the 40" MES other than just a picture. I also saw the 30" and the 40" side by side for the first time. Wow, I could not imagine how different they were in size. I knew the 40"would be some bigger but in appearance, it seemed to to almost twice as big.

Now, I am a little lost as to how the units with bluetooth could have an effect on the temperature swing in the smoker. It is not what turns the smoker element on and off but rather just send a signal to the smoker just like the RF remote sends a signal. If you don't use the bluetooth or RF remote but just use the control panel they still do the same thing.

It is easy to figure out why Masterbuilt went with the Bluetooth and not the remote. Money. They get the same money for the smoker but have no cost for manufacturing the remote. There is the program that is used with "your" personal cell phone but programs cost a drip in the bucket compared to the remote. I will say, I loved the information the program provided and since my pavilion is close to the house I was able to monitor the unit from inside the house. I could not go all over the house but did not have to go outside to see what it was doing.

Now, please don't get the idea that I am complaining or bashing Masterbuilt because I am not. My first smoke (ribs) did not go so well in my 30" but that was more my fault than a problem with the unit. I have learned a lot from that first attempt and some more reading on here so am looking forward to my next attempt.

One thing I learned was not to set the time for the exact time I thought the smoke would take. When the time ends, the smoker shuts down and if you not staying right on top of it, you lose your heat quickly. From here on out I will set the time for an hour or two longer than I need.

I WILL get better, I promise. o_O

I was in Lowe's two day ago and that was the first time I saw the 40" MES other than just a picture. I also saw the 30" and the 40" side by side for the first time. Wow, I could not imagine how different they were in size. I knew the 40"would be some bigger but in appearance, it seemed to to almost twice as big.

Now, I am a little lost as to how the units with bluetooth could have an effect on the temperature swing in the smoker. It is not what turns the smoker element on and off but rather just send a signal to the smoker just like the RF remote sends a signal. If you don't use the bluetooth or RF remote but just use the control panel they still do the same thing.

It is easy to figure out why Masterbuilt went with the Bluetooth and not the remote. Money. They get the same money for the smoker but have no cost for manufacturing the remote. There is the program that is used with "your" personal cell phone but programs cost a drip in the bucket compared to the remote. I will say, I loved the information the program provided and since my pavilion is close to the house I was able to monitor the unit from inside the house. I could not go all over the house but did not have to go outside to see what it was doing.

Now, please don't get the idea that I am complaining or bashing Masterbuilt because I am not. My first smoke (ribs) did not go so well in my 30" but that was more my fault than a problem with the unit. I have learned a lot from that first attempt and some more reading on here so am looking forward to my next attempt.

One thing I learned was not to set the time for the exact time I thought the smoke would take. When the time ends, the smoker shuts down and if you not staying right on top of it, you lose your heat quickly. From here on out I will set the time for an hour or two longer than I need.

I WILL get better, I promise. o_O

The first thing I do when I start mine up is set it for 20 hours.
I do that every time, so it's easy to tell how long things take.
That way it won't shut off unexpectedly too.
I figured that was why they went Bluetooth, but that's not my thing.
Have you seen this---Could be a Big help to you:
Just click on "Bear's Step by Steps".

Bear

Yes, I have reviewed your "step by step" instructions quite a lot and thanks for taking the time to add them on the forum for everyone to use. It has been some interesting reading and will be a go to thread in the future.

From here on out, I will set my time to 10 or 20 depending on what I am smoking. And I got the Thermoworks Smoke and it worked well at telling me the temperature in the cabinet as well as the IT. I was only about 70 feet away but my house has fieldstone walls so they are very thick but had no effect on the signal.

Looking forward to this summer.

Yes, I have reviewed your "step by step" instructions quite a lot and thanks for taking the time to add them on the forum for everyone to use. It has been some interesting reading and will be a go to thread in the future.

From here on out, I will set my time to 10 or 20 depending on what I am smoking. And I got the Thermoworks Smoke and it worked well at telling me the temperature in the cabinet as well as the IT. I was only about 70 feet away but my house has fieldstone walls so they are very thick but had no effect on the signal.

Looking forward to this summer.

LOL---I know what you mean, The only place my Maverick seems to have trouble with the signal is my Steel Front Door.
Shame it has to be dead center in the line between my Recliner & my Smoker. :(

Bear

LOL---I know what you mean, The only place my Maverick seems to have trouble with the signal is my Steel Front Door.
Shame it has to be dead center in the line between my Recliner & my Smoker. :(

Bear

thats why I am fairly certain that the weaker blue tooth connection is likely a waste of money for me, Steel roof, steel siding, I barely get a cell signal in my house, I have serious doubts that the blue tooth stands a chance.

thats why I am fairly certain that the weaker blue tooth connection is likely a waste of money for me, Steel roof, steel siding, I barely get a cell signal in my house, I have serious doubts that the blue tooth stands a chance.

Yup!
But that Gen #2.5 is so awesome, I just use the console controls. Gotta check the smoke now & then anyway.
Probably get an RF remote set-up for $50 or so, but then again with all that steel, maybe RF wouldn't work too good either.

Bear

Yup!
But that Gen #2.5 is so awesome, I just use the console controls. Gotta check the smoke now & then anyway.
Probably get an RF remote set-up for $50 or so, but then again with all that steel, maybe RF wouldn't work too good either.

Bear
Checking the smoker is an opportune time to get another beer :)

Checking the smoker is an opportune time to get another beer :)

If that is how you justify getting a beer.... perhaps you should buy a cheap brinkman offest... you dont turn your back on one of those for a minute. I used to get pretty plowed trying to do a brisket or pork butt on mine... my liver is a proud sponsor of the UDS smoker.

I got around to doing 2 sets of temp runs to get an idea of where my MES actually runs. I did a 225 and a 205 (on the MES) with it empty. I was running a thermopro dual probe setup for reference. Below recorded runs after it had done 3-4 full cycles and “levelled off” internally.

225 Run, starting on the bottom of its upswing:

1832: Element on at 224 while MES dropped to 219. Probes showed 231/229 (R/L respectively. R/L will be consistent throughout below tests).

1834: MES off at 225, probes 255/255

1838: MES coasts to 236, probes 269/266

1845: MES element turns on at 224, probes 236/235

1847: MES dropped to 219, probes 232/231

205 Run, starting on the bottom of its upswing:

1947: MES element on at 204, probes 212/212

1949: MES drops to 201, probes 210/209

1951: MES element off at 205, probes 228/228

1955: MES coasts to 216, probes 243/243

2004: MES element on at 204, probes 213/212

2005: MES drops to 201, probes 210/210

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
I wish I could actually get to 275* when the Mes is set to 275*. I only get to 255-260* average. Both Gen 1 40's I have were identical. It's not the Mes controllers so the PID will get me where I want to be.

I got around to doing 2 sets of temp runs to get an idea of where my MES actually runs. I did a 225 and a 205 (on the MES) with it empty. I was running a thermopro dual probe setup for reference. Below recorded runs after it had done 3-4 full cycles and “levelled off” internally.

225 Run, starting on the bottom of its upswing:

1832: Element on at 224 while MES dropped to 219. Probes showed 231/229 (R/L respectively. R/L will be consistent throughout below tests).

1834: MES off at 225, probes 255/255

205 Run, starting on the bottom of its upswing:

1947: MES element on at 204, probes 212/212

1949: MES drops to 201, probes 210/209

1951: MES element off at 205, probes 228/228

1955: MES coasts to 216, probes 243/243

2004: MES element on at 204, probes 213/212

2005: MES drops to 201, probes 210/210

What are your thoughts?

My Observations are:
Your Heating element starts & stops at proper points.
Your left/right heat balance looks real good.
Your Swings get less with each cycle.

It's not really necessary with your numbers, but if you want to shrink the swings more quickly, check my method out:
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/avoid-temp-swings-in-mes-by-bear.208552/

Bear

My Observations are:
Your Heating element starts & stops at proper points.
Your left/right heat balance looks real good.
Your Swings get less with each cycle.

It's not really necessary with your numbers, but if you want to shrink the swings more quickly, check my method out:
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/avoid-temp-swings-in-mes-by-bear.208552/
Bear

Thanks Bear,

I've read that post and will use it when cooking, but wanted to get a general idea how the mes performed on its own with the new sensor. Seems like the sensor did the trick and 205 is going to be my primary setting.

Appreciate the feedback all, cheers

Temp swings look a little wild "on paper" but doubt there's much difference in the real world/final results. Stop OCDing and smoke something already! :D Not hitting the set temp is another matter. Bad sensor? My MES30 goes over 300F set at 275F.

Temp swings look a little wild "on paper" but doubt there's much difference in the real world/final results. Stop OCDing and smoke something already! :D Not hitting the set temp is another matter. Bad sensor? My MES30 goes over 300F set at 275F.

Well what got me here was my mes being set to 275 and then not turning off, even when it was at 403 and counting. My swings now go as high as 44 over projected (269 when set to 225) but the swings are much more modest at the 205 temp

Last edited:
Well what got me here was my mes being set to 275 and then not turning off, even when it was at 403 and counting. My swings now go as high as 44 over projected (269 when set to 225) but the swings are much more modest at the 205 temp

Those swings at 225° would probably die down in a longer smoke, like it did at 1845 & 1847.

That one you had set @ 275° and went to 403°+ is a whole different story. That's not good when it doesn't shut off.

Bear

Pulled the trigger on the cabelas mes40. I had over $700 in cabelas points and a $10 in cabelas bucks so I figured what the hell...It's like free this way! I cant wait until to give it a try on some snack sticks.

Those swings at 225° would probably die down in a longer smoke, like it did at 1845 & 1847.

That one you had set @ 275° and went to 403°+ is a whole different story. That's not good when it doesn't shut off.

Bear

Those times you mention were on the downswing, 232/231 is the lowest it got during an hour+ long 225 run. So on its way down, it turns on at 224 (while still dropping) and bottoms out at 232/231 (MES 219) before its upswing begins. Total heat swing is 37/35 degrees on the 225 run. 33/33 degrees on the 205 run.

I will be using it regardless, but interesting how it cycles. Likely be a bit smoother when a chunk of thermal mass (food) is there mind you.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky