Busy weekend ahead....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bhambrewer

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jul 16, 2020
Birmingham, Alabama
meat.jpeg

At the front: USDA Select flank steak. Just under 11lbs, in 5 roughly equal pieces. Two pieces marinaded in soy sauce, red wine, and lots of garlic. Grilled over propane, served for dinner tonight.

Middle: pork cushion meat. 2 large chunks (out of the 5 roughly equal pieces) cut into bite sized pieces to make the very traditional pork tikka masala (narrator: this is not the traditional protein...)

Back: USDA Choice ribeye primal. Going to be broken down into chain (for Philly cheese steak), half a dozen *fat* steaks, and some beef roasts.

All bought at my local Restaurant Depot. Total cost inc tax around $300 because "opportunity buy" means 25% off the already low price for the first two.

The prime rib primal was $11.83/lb, so this whole lot cost me around what the primal alone would have cost in Costco. Going to be a very meaty weekend, with lots of meat now in the freezer :emoji_wink:

action shot of the steaks grilling over propane - I had intended using charcoal, but central Alabama has been so soggy I couldn't work up the enthusiasm to get wet myself :emoji_sunglasses:

steaks.jpeg

I trimmed off the chain and used it for Philly cheese steak for lunch, cut 10 fat steaks (all around 14 to 20 oz apiece, 6 are now in the freezer) and a chunk for a roast beef dinner.

Ah, another fan of RD! First thing I do is always scout out for the table or rolling cart with the "opportunity buys". That's how I found my first (and only) hanger steak.

Ah, another fan of RD! First thing I do is always scout out for the table or rolling cart with the "opportunity buys". That's how I found my first (and only) hanger steak.

the "oh bugger" section is where I bought the first brisket I ever smoked - $1.49/lb for a packer, yes please!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky