Burning dust in the AMNTS

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Did a small ham using the 6 inch tube and the homemade dust . Really works good . Puts nice color on the ham .
Burned for a little over 5 hours . Fill it a second time . Really like the thin smoke it outs out .

20190119_132343.jpg 20190119_224708.jpg

Did a small ham using the 6 inch tube and the homemade dust . Really works good . Puts nice color on the ham .
Burned for a little over 5 hours . Fill it a second time . Really like the thin smoke it outs out .

Looks good.

Doing a small whole chicken today as we are having quite the calm before the storm.One 6" tube 3/4 full should do the whole smoke no problem.

Reactions: chopsaw
Nice looking ham.... I'd eat it....

Ham looks Great, Rich!!
Mighty Tasty, I'm betting!!

Thanks for the comments . The tube with the coarse ground dust puts out nice clean smoke .
Dave got me hooked on the ham , I'm doing about one a month . I buy 2 butts and trim out about a 3 lb hunk from one , trim the fat then make sausage from the rest .

Looks good.

Doing a small whole chicken today as we are having quite the calm before the storm.One 6" tube 3/4 full should do the whole smoke no problem.
Norm , I'd be interested in the color on the bird using dust .
Our weather just started . Windy and cold , snowing pretty good , maybe I should say hard ,,,

Norm , I'd be interested in the color on the bird using dust .
Our weather just started . Windy and cold , snowing pretty good , maybe I should say hard ,,,

I'll snap a pic after it comes out.

Right now the weather is spectacular here but that's going to change.

This is it...color looks good.

Attachments

• DSCN1100.JPG
    DSCN1100.JPG
    127.4 KB · Views: 46
  • DSCN1101.JPG
    DSCN1101.JPG
    126.7 KB · Views: 44
Wow ! That looks fantastic . Thanks for showing it . I need to make more dust .

I'm so used to the heavy smoke .
And this is why I no longer burn pellets in my smokehouse... lots of white smoke. I now use chunks on my 15" cast iron pan when warm and hot smoking. I get a bed of coals going with the propane and let it roll. I get great TBS in the smokehouse this way. I'm basically cooking with wood, but use the propane to moderate and hold the temp.

I'm jumping into cold smoking and I like the TBS the dust puts out MUCH, MUCH, better than the white smoke from pellets.

I have both so that's good to know. The heat gun doesn't blow away the coarse dust?

Also, do you pack the dust down or just leave it as-is as you pour the dust into the tube?

I leave it as it is poured in . Not packed . 6 inch tube burns about 5 hours .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky