• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Burning dust in the AMNTS

Murray

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Dec 30, 2018
Thanks, guess I see if I can find someone on a buy and sell site, trade for pellets or chips.

chopsaw

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
Did a small ham using the 6 inch tube and the homemade dust . Really works good . Puts nice color on the ham .
Burned for a little over 5 hours . Fill it a second time . Really like the thin smoke it outs out .

20190119_132343.jpg 20190119_224708.jpg

daveomak

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 12, 2010
Nice looking ham.... I'd eat it....

normanaj

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 2, 2014
Did a small ham using the 6 inch tube and the homemade dust . Really works good . Puts nice color on the ham .
Burned for a little over 5 hours . Fill it a second time . Really like the thin smoke it outs out .
Looks good.

Doing a small whole chicken today as we are having quite the calm before the storm.One 6" tube 3/4 full should do the whole smoke no problem.

Bearcarver

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
Ham looks Great, Rich!!
Mighty Tasty, I'm betting!!
Nice Job!
Like.

Bear

chopsaw

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
Nice looking ham.... I'd eat it....
Ham looks Great, Rich!!
Mighty Tasty, I'm betting!!
Thanks for the comments . The tube with the coarse ground dust puts out nice clean smoke .
Dave got me hooked on the ham , I'm doing about one a month . I buy 2 butts and trim out about a 3 lb hunk from one , trim the fat then make sausage from the rest .

chopsaw

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
Looks good.

Doing a small whole chicken today as we are having quite the calm before the storm.One 6" tube 3/4 full should do the whole smoke no problem.
Norm , I'd be interested in the color on the bird using dust .
Our weather just started . Windy and cold , snowing pretty good , maybe I should say hard ,,,

normanaj

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 2, 2014
Norm , I'd be interested in the color on the bird using dust .
Our weather just started . Windy and cold , snowing pretty good , maybe I should say hard ,,,
I'll snap a pic after it comes out.

Right now the weather is spectacular here but that's going to change.

chopsaw

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
Wow ! That looks fantastic . Thanks for showing it . I need to make more dust .

indaswamp

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Apr 27, 2017
I'm so used to the heavy smoke .
And this is why I no longer burn pellets in my smokehouse... lots of white smoke. I now use chunks on my 15" cast iron pan when warm and hot smoking. I get a bed of coals going with the propane and let it roll. I get great TBS in the smokehouse this way. I'm basically cooking with wood, but use the propane to moderate and hold the temp.

I'm jumping into cold smoking and I like the TBS the dust puts out MUCH, MUCH, better than the white smoke from pellets.

indaswamp

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Apr 27, 2017
Missed this thread first time around....I found out that the dust works well too.

chopsaw

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
I use a propane torch .

indaswamp

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Apr 27, 2017
harbor freight heat gun works as well...and it's only $8 bucks.

solman

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Nov 13, 2015
I have both so that's good to know. The heat gun doesn't blow away the coarse dust?

solman

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Nov 13, 2015
Also, do you pack the dust down or just leave it as-is as you pour the dust into the tube?

chopsaw

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
I leave it as it is poured in . Not packed . 6 inch tube burns about 5 hours .

indaswamp

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Apr 27, 2017
Also, do you pack the dust down or just leave it as-is as you pour the dust into the tube?
I pack it tight in the 12" and I can get a 9 hour burn....but this is cold smoking...

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.