Buffalo Wings

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Canadian Rockies
I made up 12 Buffalo Wing segments with a modified recipe of Scarbelly Wings. Intead of using Creole Butter, I melted 15 ml (1 tbsp) of butter and added 15 ml (1 tbsp) of Hickey Bottom Smokey Hot Sauce. I then put the mixture in the microwave, covered for 30 seconds to make sure it is hot. If it isn’t the butter can harden while injecting.

Mix the butter and sauce and inject it into the wings. This will be messy. Some always shoots out.

I gave the wings a rub with Bub 'n Muthas Honey Heat Rub.

At this point you can cook the wings right away or put it in the fridge for up to a day.

Hickey Bottom Hot Sauce 02.jpg

I preheated my smoker to 350 F (175 C). I cooked the wings for 25 minutes. I flipped and cooked for another 25 minutes. I made sure the internal temperature of the wings was over 170 F (75 C)

I melted 15 ml (1 tbsp) of butter and added 25 ml (2 tbsp) of hot sauce. I tossed the wings in the mixture and served hot.

Hickey Bottom Hot Sauce 03.jpg

Hickey Bottom Hot Sauce 04.jpg

The Verdict

I do love a buffalow wing and the butter adds a richness and makes a great crisp skin and moist meat..

Disco

Attachments

• Hickey Bottom Hot Sauce 02.jpg
    Hickey Bottom Hot Sauce 02.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 15
Great job Disco! Those look like award winning wings, to me.

PS; I've seen a lot of hickey's in my time, but never one on a bottom, although it seems like natural place to put one. (Referencing your "Hickey Bottom Hot Sauce".)

These look delicious. My mouth is watering.

Thanks. They are just basic wings but still one of my favourites.

I am coming toyour house as soon as I can cross the border. They look deeeelicious!!!

You will be welcome! This closure has been a real bummer. I have friends in Montana and we had plans for curling, golfing, and general good times that we have had to cancel. I miss my American friends! We love it when you visit.

Great job Disco! Those look like award winning wings, to me.

PS; I've seen a lot of hickey's in my time, but never one on a bottom, although it seems like natural place to put one. (Referencing your "Hickey Bottom Hot Sauce".)

Thanks but they are pretty basic wings. Often the basics are best. As for the name of the sauce, don't blame me! I ordered from the US!

Reactions: cmayna
OMG David I've never thought about an injected wing before. They sound great and they look even better. Great post I may have to try this soon. We love wings and this looks like wing nirvana. Thanks for sharing.

OMG David I've never thought about an injected wing before. They sound great and they look even better. Great post I may have to try this soon. We love wings and this looks like wing nirvana. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks. It wasn't my idea (note the link to Scarbelly Wings) I have just modified it to my tastes.

The money shot says it all. :emoji_thumbsup:

Thanks so much.

Top Notch wings Disco, I tried injecting wings once. I wound up with more injection fluid on the counter then in the wings.

Point for sure
Chris

Disco those are some mighty fine looking wings! I like to do wings fairly often but ive never injected. Next batch I do I'll have to give it a shot. Thanks for posting!

Great looking wingdingers Disco!

Dave

Thanks so much!

:emoji_thumbsup: Looks so good!!

Thanks!

Top Notch wings Disco, I tried injecting wings once. I wound up with more injection fluid on the counter then in the wings.

Point for sure
Chris

Sorry, Chris. I'd like to tell you I have some secret to stop them from leaking when injecting. I don't. I just tell She Who Must Be Obeyed to clean up the mess and duck.

Disco those are some mighty fine looking wings! I like to do wings fairly often but ive never injected. Next batch I do I'll have to give it a shot. Thanks for posting!

I only inject for Buffalo and Teriyaki wings. It just kicks up the flavour!

Looks great as usual Disco! I need to make some wings soon!

Thanks, Case. It is nice to get an expert's approval!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky