BS Brekky Griddle Break-in

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sawhorseray

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 17, 2014
Gilbert, AZ
This morning it was time to fire up the new Blackstone 22" griddle after getting it seasoned yesterday. I must have done a decent job seasoning, nothing stuck. The menu was 5 strips of fatty store ought bacon, 4 eggs SSU, a potato pancake made from some leftover taters-sour cream-butter that was in the fridge, and a flour tortilla. I had everything pretty much ready to go when I fired up the griddle and turned the heat control dials down to about the center for medium. Lesson learned there, griddle started smoking, Greenpro said 540º, so I turned the knobs down as low as they'd go, waited a couple of minutes and then threw on the bacon. Boy howdy does thing ever cook fast, there was no time to be doing any shutter-bugging, gotta pay attention! Once I flipped the bacon over I put on the tater pancake in the bacon grease, a minute later the bacon came off and the eggs went on with a pot lid over them. I thought everything worked out OK!
DSCN1876.JPG

It was nice to be eating on the patio and I learned a few things about cooking on the flat top. It cooks so hot even as low as it'll go that in the future I may try cooking with just one burner to save the other side for food to stay warm on without continuing to cook. Tho it cooks real hot, nothing burned, I like that! It was easy enough scraping the grease out to the rear drain, clean-up was a piece of cake.
DSCN1875.JPG

All in all it was a successful first run, breakfast was delicious, I learned a little bit, and didn't burn myself! I'm thinking next up might be a Philly cheesesteak, give that one-burner-on-one-off theory a test drive. Thanks for lookin' in! RAY

Nice . That looks great . They are so much fun to cook on , and adds something to the food . I will turn both sets of burners on to heat up , hit it with some water to steam it off . Then depending on how much I'm cooking , I'll shut one side down . Works fine .

Thanks Rich, turning them both on and then one off is a great idea! I'm figuring the side that's turned off will still be hot enough to toast up a bun or roll a bit. I just got my pack of three plastic squeeze bottles delivered from Walmart, figuring one each for veg oil, EVOO, and water. They are fun to cook on, I found myself using the 6" taping blade a little more than the spatula, that could reverse with the cheesesteak sanny. Thanks for the Like Rich, I do appreciate it . RAY

Looks like the perfect Breakfast, Ray! Glad you're loving that Blackstone. Enjoy, thanks for sharing.

Mike

Reactions: sawhorseray
Breakfast of Champions right there Ray !I Between these Griddles, SV units, Air fryers, poor smokers are taking a backseat. :emoji_grinning:

No kidding WR, I'm trying to keep $4K worth of other smokers in the loop and someone is looking at me like why the hell did we pay for these. WTH, at least one of the other ones will smoke sausage! Thanks for the Like I do appreciate it. RAY

Oh Boy!! My Kinda Breakfast !! Making me hungry, and I just ate!! Nice Job, Ray!! Like.

Thank you John, as much as I love taters with brekky I don't often have them, usually just another pan with more to do and clean up. Looking back the flat top made things fast and easy with a lot less tidy afterwards, and it seems to add flavor somehow. Thanks for the Like Bear, very much appreciated. RAY

,Looks awesome. There have been a lot of good griddle threads lately. Looks like I’ll have to wheel mine out soon.

Break it out and fire it up, there's nothing to lose. I'm kind of down with Inscrutable Inscrutable 's earlier post, we might need a griddle section. Thank you for the Like jcam222 jcam222 , much appreciated. RAY

Looks like the perfect Breakfast, Ray! Glad you're loving that Blackstone. Enjoy, thanks for sharing. Mike

Thank you Mike! I don't always spoil myself with taters for brekky, but I've got a feeling I'll be doing it a bit more often now. Thank you for the Like, I do appreciate it. RAY

Looks really good Ray. Looks like everything is done to perfection. Mine is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow but I see where they tried to deliver it to my work address yesterday.

Great looking breakfast! The grill works like a charm.

I can see getting a ton of use out of this thing Steve, thanks for the Like, I appreciate it. RAY

Looks really good Ray. Looks like everything is done to perfection. Mine is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow but I see where they tried to deliver it to my work address yesterday.

Do yourself a favor and get the hose for the 20lb propane Denny. The one pound bottles don't last very long and seem to have gotten more pricey than I remembered then being. Thank you for the Like Denny, I appreciate it. RAY

Sure does look good Ray

It sure cuts down on messing up the kitchen Jim, my wife is liking that. Turning on the stove or oven here in the summertime when it's 108º is something we try to avoid, this will make life much easier. Thank you for the Like, Jim, much appreciated. RAY

Great looking breakfast Ray ...

You’re all still killing me ... made corned beef hash with nested dippy eggs yesterday, and this baby would have been SO much better/easier than the stovetop.
Son-in-law and daughter absolutely love theirs ... don’t even have another grill.

Missed out on the markdown to $99 at Sams. Most models flying off shelves in most stores and out of stock.
Resistance does indeed appear futile. Only a matter of time.

Great looking breakfast Ray … You’re all still killing me ... made corned beef hash with nested dippy eggs yesterday, and this baby would have been SO much better/easier than the stovetop. Son-in-law and daughter absolutely love theirs ... don’t even have another grill. Missed out on the markdown to $99 at Sams. Most models flying off shelves in most stores and out of stock. Resistance does indeed appear futile. Only a matter of time.

Yes, it is just a matter of time, so avoid the rush and just get one , they're great!

I have a propane line run to my deck ... do their hose(s) now connect with a typical flare or compression fitting?

The hose I ordered fits a 20lb tank (regulated) on one end and their bastard stove fitting on the other. Some nice marketing genius thought that they could make a ton of dough by not raising the price to include the hose, and then stabbing folks when they found that the $6-$7 cannisters didn't last very long. Hope all this helps, I don't type fast for a old carpenter, get one! RAY

Reactions: xray
Hmmm ... it’s that ‘bastard stove fitting’ that might be a problem. Gas Stove fittings are almost always some standard size of MIP , so a FIP connector, and stay with IP or adapt to flare fittings to run gas line. Will have to investigate actual nipple size/type/thread. Not end of world to have to run off a 20lb tank I guess ... but if adaptable to standard, I’d get the portable 22“ as I also have a gas fitting on my RV that runs off the twin 30-lb’ers.

I believe it's Winterrider Winterrider who's got a hose that screws into where the one pound propane cannister goes, and then just screws the nut with the regulator that comes with the unit into the stove fitting. I'm looking forward to that hose arriving, they're fun to cook on and do a great job but at $6-$7 a pop those propane cannisters just don't seem to last very long. Sure do make a mighty fine Philly cheesesteak sanny! RAY
DSCN1879.JPG
DSCN1880.JPG
DSCN1881.JPG

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky