BS Brekky Griddle Break-in

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
That cheesesteak looks perfect Ray! Perfectly paired with that Rolling Rock.

Mike

A couple of damn fine looking meals there Ray. Excellent job. In a couple of my posts I did mention that they cook fast, and I always use the lowest temp setting. No question they are a blast to cook on ans so easy to use. I love standing on the patio looking out over the pool and into the canyon below while cooking, then sitting down at the table outside and eating my meal. Since getting the griddle almost everything we've eaten has been cooked on it and some of those were pretty nice meals. I've fired up the grill a couple times, the smoker a couple times, and the Santa Maria once but that's about it, the rest has been cooked on the flat top.

One thing seems weird though. The 1# propane tanks here are WAY less than what you're paying for them. Tracy got the last batch of them and I believe it was about $10 for a 4-pack of them. I have 3 propane drops hard piped on the patio for various cookers but all are in use. I'd like to think about the 20# tanks and connections but I just hate those things. Did them for years and can't stand the thought of going back to them....but I thought 3 gas drops on the patio would be plenty. WRONG!! Oh well, I still love that griddle!

Big LIKE my friend!!
Robert

Reactions: sawhorseray
Hey Robert ... since you’ve done piped drops like I am, perhaps you know what that connection Is on the Blackstone (For using gas pipe fittings)?

Hell yeah Ray. The breakfast and cheesesteak look awesome! I just did cheesesteaks on mine this past Saturday. The thing is a breakfast cooking machine too. Glad you are enjoying it!

Reactions: sawhorseray
A couple of damn fine looking meals there Ray. Excellent job. In a couple of my posts I did mention that they cook fast, and I always use the lowest temp setting. No question they are a blast to cook on ans so easy to use. I love standing on the patio looking out over the pool and into the canyon below while cooking, then sitting down at the table outside and eating my meal. Since getting the griddle almost everything we've eaten has been cooked on it and some of those were pretty nice meals. I've fired up the grill a couple times, the smoker a couple times, and the Santa Maria once but that's about it, the rest has been cooked on the flat top. One thing seems weird though. The 1# propane tanks here are WAY less than what you're paying for them. Tracy got the last batch of them and I believe it was about $10 for a 4-pack of them. I have 3 propane drops hard piped on the patio for various cookers but all are in use. I'd like to think about the 20# tanks and connections but I just hate those things. Did them for years and can't stand the thought of going back to them....but I thought 3 gas drops on the patio would be plenty. WRONG!! Oh well, I still love that griddle! Big LIKE my friend!! Robert

Well thank you Robert, I've been having a blast cooking on this thing, and darned pleased with the results. I've got a bunch of the one pounders in my Lance camper and I don't think I paid that much for them, but picking up just one at the grocery store is no deal. Once I get the hose I can slide the griddle over to the edge of the counter and have room for a board to set stuff on. chopsaw chopsaw gave me the idea of turning both burners on and then shutting one off to keep food hot without overcooking, that works great. Just like you I found that as low as it'll go works fine for me. Probably do a bacon cheeseburger later on today. Thanks for the Like amigo, much appreciated. RAY

Reactions: chopsaw
Hey Robert ... since you’ve done piped drops like I am, perhaps you know what that connection Is on the Blackstone (For using gas pipe fittings)?

I've not hooked up the Blackstone so really can't answer. I have no idea what their connection size is or how they say to connect it. For all the rest it was just brass plumbing fittings for 1/2" standard gas pipe with the appropriate size adapter on the other end of the fitting. Where connected to the gas pipe you must use a sealant because they are not compression fittings. All the other connections were compression so nothing needed to seal the joints. I'd always take what I was trying to connect to the Ace Hardware to ensure I got the correct adapter but that's it. Nothing difficult or convoluted. No specialty store required, everything has been gotten from the Ace just down the street from our house. We have a huge propane tank buried in the front flower beds so the gas is regulated at the house, hence no regulators required if connected to the house supply, just a straight gas hose.

Robert

Yeah Robert, same here ... just the talk about Blackstones seemingly proprietary connector/hose spooking me. Guess I need to go SEE one for myself.

I'm sure it isn't a big deal hooking it up to a bulk storage tank.
Since the bulk tank for your house is already going through a regulator. You'll need to remove the one at the grill. Then match up the fittings from there to a shut off.

Reactions: Winterrider
Hell yeah Ray. The breakfast and cheesesteak look awesome! I just did cheesesteaks on mine this past Saturday. The thing is a breakfast cooking machine too. Glad you are enjoying it!

Thanks John, I'm lovin' this thing! How you cook a Philly cheesesteak without a flat top is beyond me, which is why as much as I like them I didn't make them until now. Between the BS and the BBQ smokers we haven't had to turn on the oven or stove since it arrived, make a lot of difference when it's 110º outside every day. Thank you for the Like John, I do appreciate it. RAY

(For using gas pipe fittings)?
NPT National Pipe Thread .
You'll have to verify what you're working with on the propane end . You can buy the adapter to change over to NPT .

As far as removing regulators , make sure the system pressure running the house works with the grill before you remove it at the grill . Not 100 % sure about this , but research line pressure , working pressure for propane .

Yeah Robert, same here ... just the talk about Blackstones seemingly proprietary connector/hose spooking me. Guess I need to go SEE one for myself.

This is the link to the BS hose that I put in Steve's seasoning thread:

As you can see it states "exclusive to BS". Once you've got the hose from BS that will attach to the unit you could most likely find a fitting / adapter for the other end that'd be the same size as a 20 lb propane tank, and you'd have a regulator! Click on the link and hover over the picture of the hose, it'll give you a fair blowup of the bastard fitting. RAY

NPT National Pipe Thread .
You'll have to verify what you're working with on the propane end . You can buy the adapter to change over to NPT .

As far as removing regulators , make sure the system pressure running the house works with the grill before you remove it at the grill . Not 100 % sure about this , but research line pressure , working pressure for propane .

Yes, always double check. But most states use the same pressure on bulk regulators to reduce chances of problems. You can convert to black iron. Or depending on the run. Use flex line. If you are going to bury the line. Then you need to check local codes for proper burial guidelines for your area.

This site should have parental controls activated and Come with an MPAA rating!

tenor.gif
"You get a griddle, and you get a griddle, Everyone gets a griddle!"

Great looking breakfast and cheesesteaks Ray!! They look awesome. I’m loving my griddle too. I had a response all typed out but things came up and life got in the way. Sorry I’m late to the party.

I’m also looking at getting a converter to attach my 22” to a 20lb propane tank. The 1lbers run out way too fast. And they’re about $16 for a 4 pack. The ace hardware down the street does 20lb refills for $9.

I wanted to ask which hose did you get? The one Blackstone sells seems to be sold out everywhere and it’s $50 on Amazon. Seems a bit steep. It’s this one.
F6FA0BE9-C322-42FF-AB06-56E87F6806F7.jpeg

But I was thinking of buying a bulk adapter hose and using the supplied regulator like this. I’m thinking of going this route because the hose is only a few dollars.
28DA6F56-9541-44EC-B5DD-91405D1E7402.jpeg
308DD06B-6BDD-42B5-ABF0-E2376A0FF081.jpeg

I’ll soap test the fittings to be safe but I don’t see an issue with this.

Great looking breakfast and cheesesteaks Ray!! They look awesome. I’m loving my griddle too. I had a response all typed out but things came up and life got in the way. Sorry I’m late to the party.

I’m also looking at getting a converter to attach my 22” to a 20lb propane tank. The 1lbers run out way too fast. And they’re about $16 for a 4 pack. The ace hardware down the street does 20lb refills for $9.

I wanted to ask which hose did you get? The one Blackstone sells seems to be sold out everywhere and it’s $50 on Amazon. Seems a bit steep. It’s this one.
View attachment 449792

But I was thinking of buying a bulk adapter hose and using the supplied regulator like this. I’m thinking of going this route because the hose is only a few dollars.
View attachment 449793
View attachment 449794

I’ll soap test the fittings to be safe but I don’t see an issue with this.
Saw what looks exactly like both of those in Lowe’s today ... $25 and $30 respectively. Char-broil branded.

Saw what looks exactly like both of those in Lowe’s today ... $25 and $30 respectively. Char-broil branded.

Well for $30 mine arrived from BS today. Hooked right up and I made some burgers, and they're darned good. What's done is done and I don't much have to worry about anything, it's all made to fit. What can I say, do whatever makes you feel comfortable and confident. RAY

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky