Brown and serve style breakfast sausages...yum!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

73saint

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Mar 8, 2017
Near New Orleans La
I started a new UMAi project yesterday. Local store had a good price on a two pack of Boston butt, and I’ve been dying to make capicola. So after getting that going, I had exactly 10lbs of pork that I cubed and threw in the freezer to firm up.

I decided to do breakfast sausage. We really like the little sizzler links, so I started scanning for recipes and settle on @bdskelly‘s, since it seemed so simple and straightforward. Only thing I did different was I added fresh thyme (I had some leftover from the capicola and I like thyme in my breakfast sausage) and extra red pepper.

Once the meat was cold enough, I grinded it up with the fine plate, and then did a fry test. Well, I wanted more flavor and heat, so I added an extra tablespoon on seasoning mix and some Chinese red pepper...yeah that did it! Fry test was spot on, so I was ready to move on to the next step.

Into my LEM mighty bite 5lb stuffer and collagen casings (19 mm I think but not sure, it’s what I had from last batch).

F2E81534-556C-458B-B171-5C87B69A1AC4.jpeg
Here it is, ready for the next step, 4 inch and pinch method...

E1AE4CD1-DC1C-4861-A78C-F0FAF9EC8778.jpeg
And here they are ready for the freezer to firm up. Now I did something a little different this time. After freezing, I took the casings off. I know, it’s a PIA to go thru that extra step but I like the old brown and serve style, and this seemed like a good way to go. It worked out quite nicely. The casings came off easily with a knife and some patience.

909AAF2C-B5FC-47ED-9671-810B8FF3E644.jpeg
And here they are all ready to go back to the freezer. I’ve got a plate ready for breakfast, just need to run to the store for some maple syrup for dipping!!

Looks good saint . I've done it both ways . Just bought sheep casings to try . I like the multi use of the butts .

The question is though...how'd they taste? I love little sizzlers too and yours look great. I might go take some out of the freezer right now...you got me wanting pancakes and sausage for breakfast!

The question is though...how'd they taste? I love little sizzlers too and yours look great. I might go take some out of the freezer right now...you got me wanting pancakes and sausage for breakfast!

C7F513B0-A84B-48FD-9CE9-AB91E647CA5B.jpeg
Frying em up now, so I’ll letcha know...

Looks REAL good . I used to crank them out onto a cookie sheet , moving the sheet side ways and cut to length with a knife . That way you don't have to handle them . Freeze then thrown in a zip lock bag . They don't last long .

I like the added spice you put in . Nice job .

You don't need to put it in casing. I just run it through the stuffer uncased and cut 4" lengths, place them on butcher paper, and freeze prior to vacuum packing.

Here's how I do them and my recipe:
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t...ome-made-little-sizzlers.273772/#post-1811413

This! I do the same thing with italian sausage for things, run it out caseless and then freeze in 8" lengths, once frozen we just wrap them up in plastic wrap and throw them in a zip lock and keep in the freezer, take them out and slice them into little pieces for pizza toppings or other uses that call for little bits of italian sausage.

Reactions: indaswamp
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky