Brisket Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lemans

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Dec 29, 2013
Jackson New Jersey
How many of you separate the point from the flat before you put it on the smoker? I am going to try it this weekend. Separating them would allow for more trimming of the hard fat and more surface for my Rub.. better for burnt Ends.. we will see

I think you get juicier meat if you leave them intact. You can cut a lot of the fat out in between the two without completely separating them. Then when the IT gets around 180 you can slide a spatula between the two & they will come right apart. Then you can decide if you want to pan the flat & cube the point for burnt ends.
Al

Reactions: BKING! and brute
There are times when I will separate them, more times than not I do before I put them on the smoker. I mainly do it when I cook for friends, a lot of them like the lower fat content and they really enjoy the burnt ends when I cook them separate. But if it’s for myself and the family I usually keep them together. Like Al said, the meat seems to be more moist that way, or it may have something to do with when I wrap it. Me personally I like them separated before I put them on the pit.

How many of you separate the point from the flat before you put it on the smoker? I am going to try it this weekend. Separating them would allow for more trimming of the hard fat and more surface for my Rub.. better for burnt Ends.. we will see
most people only seperate when the whole brisket won't fit on their meat racks or grate.

I'll jump on the "leave them together" train. If I'm smoking a brisket to eat sliced brisket, I leave them together. You get a more consistent brisket.

The only time I separate a brisket these days is when I only need half the meat for chili, stew, stroganoff, ground meat, etc. Then I'll throw what I need in the smoker for just a couple hours or so to get some smoke on it for flavor.

I keep together and have never separated.
I live in TX so if I separated them I might get shot by anyone in the vicinity that sees it happening :p
I think I would also get shot if I turned the point into burnt ends as it is the most saught after portion of the brisket for eating.

I have taken the large thin portion of the flat I trim off and turned them into burnt ends. That thin portion would just burn up anyway so it is perfect for burnt ends and does not go to waste :)

I only wish that was a choice I had to make. I usually can only find flats here. Full packers are very rare and only appear once in a while.

Chris.

LOL---Around here the Flats are usually separated from the Points before they get to my stores, and all we get are the flats.
And they're expensive, which is why I Smoke a lot more Prime Ribs than I do Brisket.

Bear

I have smoked a lot of Briskets I'm a firm believer in leaving it whole.
Just trim the fat cap to about a quarter inch.

Gary

Reactions: Bearcarver
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky