Brisket cooking WAY fast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pellis04

Original poster
Sep 4, 2017
Bought an 11 pounder, trimmed fat so it probably ended up 9-10 pounds (pure guess)

Went in at 4 AM to preheated smoker @ 225. Temp has stayed 222-228 most of the cook. It's already 178. This seems REALLY fast. Did I do something wrong?

Water pan is in use.

Used a thermopro. Has been good so far. Trust the BBQ temp on it more than my smoker thermometer. Ended up taking about 9 hours.

If you're brisket was at that temp at 9:30 my response is probably to late, but...
I've had smaller briskets (10 pound range) just cook right through the stall and finish in 6 hours and I've had some take 10+.
Cook/Smoke times have a lot to do with fat content, which will vary from hunk-o-meat to hunk-o-meat.
I've have two nearly identical looking weighing pieces of meat finish HOURS apart.
As long as you trust your thermometer and are confident in the temps everything will be fine.
It goes back to that adage "It's done when it's done"
I hope this helps s little and that your brisket smoke was a success.

Wslt.

Comparable to my previous ones.

Thinking of experimenting with pulling it at 198 ish instead of 190 next time.
I only use internal temp on big hunks of meat as a reference.
On briskets, pork butts and shoulders and any similar meat I go for tenderness not IT.
Once I get around 190-193° IT I start checking
with long bamboo ka bob skewer which mush pass completely through the thickest area of the meat with no effort.

Walt

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky